Oil Tank Question

My oil tank is: Length= 5ft, Height = 4ft, Width = 2ft. It holds 1100 litres My question is, how much oil is represented by 1 inch on a dipstick?

Regards and thanks in advance

Syke

Reply to
Syke

1100/48 = 22.9 litres (approx.)
Reply to
Bob Eager

Assuming zero wall thickness and truly rectangular tank

5 x 2 x 1/12 = 1.2 cu ft

which is a little over 7.5 gallons, or 34 litres.

Checking for reasonability, your 1100 litres should therefore occupy 1100/34 inches, which is about 2.7 feet

I leave it to you to adjust the figures to reflect the actual shape of your tank.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Er... you wouldn't like to recalculate that, would you?

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Reply to
Andy Burns

Um, no.

One twelfth of 10 is 0.8333, not 1.2

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

All so complicated. Assuming it's rectangular, it's 4 feet (48 inches) high.

Thus 1 inch is 1/48th of its capacity - 1100 litres - thus it's 1100/48 =

22.9 lites.

Job done.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Well, I was trying to give the hint to the O/P that it was not really difficult to get an answer

I got the same "next level of approximation" a different way, multiply by 1100/1132nds to allow for the net/gross volume, but answers to 1/10th of a litre for a question expressed in feet seems over-precise; talking to a neighbour the other night about a replacement radiator

Q: how big is the current one? A: 700mm by 4 feet

Reply to
Andy Burns

Ooops!

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Depends what , FULL means, ie where is the highest indication? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Ignoring the thickness of the steel,

volume = 60in x 24in x 1in = 1440 cu in

1440 cu in X 16.3871 = 23579 cc = 23.579 litre per inch

Dividing the 1100 litres capacity by 23.579 litres per inch gives a height when full within the tank of 46.6 ins.

michael adams

michael adams

Oops!

How long is the dipstick ?

michael adams

michael adams

IS this a single or double skinned tank ?.

If double skinned, then we need to know the internal tank dimensions.

Reply to
Andrew

Just to confirm - it is an old style metal tank with flat walls, isn't it?

If it is a newer style barrel shaped one then there is no correct answer because the volume per inch varies with the profile - in the middle the tank will be at its widest so you will get most oil for your inch.

Top and bottom will be narrower so you will get less oil per inch.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

I rather assumed he would be happy with an approximation.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Except that the tanks aren't true barrels. They alternate round cross sections with rectangular. With the both having the same width at the center. So although some of the tank does get narrower the rest is staying the same.

On our tank this means that the amount of oil per unit depth is pretty close to, if not actually, linear.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice