Oil Tank indicator question

Hi,

I have a big green outside oil tank (Home heating etc).

There is a clear thin tube on the outside, with a small floating ball in which is supposed to be indicative of the amount of oil left in the tank. At the bottom of the small tube is a button you press to sync the tube with the tank.

It no longer works and I have no idea how much oil I have without looking in the tank.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem OR is there another method to help me?

Thanks

Paul

Reply to
Pedross

Are you and the tank new to each other? I have what sounds like a similar set-up. but on mine, the little button is pulled, not pressed. It can take a few moments, especially if the tank has gone quite low, but it does work.

Reply to
S Viemeister

You say it no longer works? How do you know (sorry to ask such a simple question). For example is there oil in the tank or has it run out. Ther is little to go on to diagnose why it has failed. You could remove and clean the tube if there is a blockage and that gives you an opportunity to see if pressing the button release oil.

These guages are a potential source of leakage from the platsic tubes degrading or coming off so some form of in-tank system is often better so long as the old gauge is removed. For example see

way that often gives away the oil level is to go out in the morning after a heavy dew fall. The oil level is often visible in the dew on the oil tank. May not be practical as an alternative at all times.

Reply to
hzatph

Hi,

When I press the button it no longer moves. have added a full tank and it still shows half (Which it did when nearly empty)

Thanks

Reply to
Pedross