oil tank bund

Anyone know what mix and how to apply an oil proof render for a concrete block bund round an oil tank?

AJH

Reply to
andrew

elusive. I want to avoid having to pay for a two pack epoxy coating, so was looking for a mortar additive and lay method that will give the low permeability for oil.

I may just lay 500mu dpm with 50mm of screed for the floor and run the dpm up the sides with plywood to protect it.

I'm unsure if a bitumastic paint would survive being bathed in oil, in the unlikely event of a spill.

AJH

Reply to
andrew

You might have to reapply the bitumastic after you had cleaned up the spill. :-)

Reply to
Old Codger

I was just about to suggest 2 part epoxy floor paint, I have recently used this on a garage floor and am about to use it to coat a brick bund around a generator in the garage. Within reason it should be a one off job so it's worth making it a good one. I'm lucky that the fuel tank feeding the genny is only about 60l so the bund is not very large. The cost is not that great and as far as I know the end result should be good. (I hope !)

Reply to
Bill

Hmm: now why can I see your reply and my post to other threads in this group, but not my post to this one? (Reading through eternal-september and OE)

Spamlet

No, so long as there was a thick enough coating to begin with, it looks like new afterwards! 8-)

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I did say "might". :-)

Reply to
Old Codger

In article , Spamlet writes

O/p has posted to 2 groups: Newsgroups: uk.business.agriculture,uk.d-i-y But has set followups to 1 only: Followup-To: uk.business.agriculture

If you're viewing on uk.d-i-y and not subscribed to uk.business.agriculture then you wont see any posts that honour that followup.

The newsreaders of the uk.d-i-y posters are ignoring the followup and posting to both, except mine which is to uk.d-i-y only.

Reply to
fred

Yes my mistake, it was my first crosspost using KNode and I didn't notice the follow up was set by default.

The disk on that pc packed up this morning so back to agent on an old pc for a while.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

Back on the bund.... I put my diesel tank inside a second, larger:-) tank.

This involved angle grinding a large enough rectangle out of the top to take the fuel store and then welding an extension to the end to make room for the outlet and a fuel can. The store was stood on concrete blocks to give height to fit a can and funnel below the outlet.

The people who install bunded tanks usually have a wide selection of single skinned ones to sell at scrap value.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

It's actually a lube bay with 3 1000 litre and 8 205 litre containers

AJH

Reply to
andrew

Can you get away with 110% of the largest container?

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Yes there is some sort of derogation for capacity with multiple containers but it just so happens that the layout of 3 1m cubes and 8 drums plus enough distance to hold a jug under them means 110% + is available.

Latest advice is that resin sealer for block paving in addition to a waterproof render is sufficient to achieve the required permeability.

AJH

Reply to
andrew