Oil Stones?

Just a quickie, Anyone know if you can still get the old style oil stones (usually in a wooden box), for sharpening chisels etc; looks like a block of slate in a wooden box. Mine (which I inherited) is getting somewhat worn and is starting to show it's age (just like me!). I have tried some more modern dry sharpening stones, but nothing has yet come anywhere near the edge you get with an old style oil stone.

TIA

Martin.

Reply to
Martin

Search for product 'oilstone' in

Product no: 12048 Price: £4.99 inc. VAT

This should open webpage:

?_dyncharset=UTF-8&q=oilstone&n=&pn=1&pd=1&pi=1&cn=1&cd=1&x=8&y=10

Reply to
John Flax

To ensure a high quality of stone, make sure it is an "India stone". Ordinary oil stones will quickly wear out.

Try

and search for "India". They have more than one on offer.

Reply to
Howard Neil

I'm intrigued by your comment about the old one being worn.

If it is just dished it can be flattened with either silicin carbide grains on a flat surface (plate glass would do) or with wet and dry abrasive paper . (Again plate glass can act as a sub strate)

If you have managed to wear it out you must be a hevay user.;-)

I find water stones the best to use in a workshop environment for things like wood chisels Quick cutting and easily flattened

Paul Mc Cann

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann

What makes a "water stone" a "water stone"? Is there any reason why an "oilstone" shouldn't be used with water instead (from new *before* it ever gets any oil near it, of course!) ?

Reply to
Mike Faithfull

Many Thanks Paul, The one I'm currently using is (as near as I can tell) well over 50 years old; I inherited it from my Grandfather. And, yes it is somewhat dished in the centre; I wasn't *aware* they could be re-flattened.

Martin.

Reply to
Martin

Not sure if this directly answers your question, but I was under the impression that a stone could be either water or oil - but not both:

PoP

I should have been more explicit. I meant Japanese water stone. They are softer tham Western oil stones, cut quicker but also wear quicker. They are very easy to flatten

Paul Mc Cann

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann