Oil pump pressure setting

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Digsy saying something like:

Google for dkbgps000a115.pdf

It's Danfoss doc which contains info on nozzle sizes and types, as well as pumps and other stuff.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Ok, the scenario:

My central heating oil burner oil pump is leaking - not a huge amount but it needs replacing. This I can do for a cool £40-ish, but the pum pressure needs to be set after it is installed.

The pump pressure depends on the oil burner nozzle size.

The nozzle size depends on how the burner was set up to heat my house.

Now, according to the bumf that came with the house when I bought it there should be a sticker on the burner saying exactly what the nozzl size, pump pressure and air settings should be. Surprise, surprise there isn't.

I have taken the nozzle out and checked what size it is - th information on it is repeated below, but I don't trurst it 100% becaus since my boiler was last serviced it has used an appreciably greate amount of fuel than usual over a ten month period.

My question is, therefore, how can I, from first principles, work ou what the nozzle size and oil pressure should be for my burner, startin from nothing? I have asked a couple of burner spares dealers but thei general approach is "Oooh, I couldn't possibly tell you without knowin how your system was set up".

I fail to believe that comissioning a central heating boiler is suc rocket science that if the details aren't recoded on a special littl sticker then its lost forever and too hard to re-calculate. Can anyon help?

Burner and nozzle details follow:

BURNER:

MONOFLAME MADE IN ITALY BY ECOFLAM MINOR 1 BETA 1

240V 50HZ COD 55.01.01/37 D.TERM MIN 20,00 MAX 29,60KW MIN 1,70 MAX 2,50 KG/H LIGHT OIL MAX VISC @20'C 6MM2/S 1.50'E VAC 240 50HZ SERIAL NO 96000031027 12/96

NOZZLE:

KG/H = 1.50

80'EH 0.5 6Z

-- Digsy

Reply to
Digsy

I would simply plumb in a temporary pressure guage. A T, connected up to a tyre pressure guage will work fine.

Alternatively, if you can observe the flame, and the boiler is not a modulating sort, then simply taking a photo beforehand, and turning it up till you get an identical picture is the same.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Please can you advise make and model of boiler. the data required is usually found on the boiler data plate, not the burner, as the burner can be used on several boilers. If the pressure is not set correctly when recommissioning burner you can cause a lot of problems with sooting of the boiler....not a nice job trying to clean it!

Lee

Reply to
lee

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Okey dokey: UPDATE. After downloading chapter and verse on pumps an nozzles from Danfoss (I couldn't find te precise document mentione above but I found some others) I becmae convinced that I wasn't goin to be able to do anything myself as I kept coming back to needing t know the heat capability for my boiler in order to size the nozzle an pressure together. I also kept finding words to the effect of "you boiler will have this information written on it", so once again I se off in search of it.

Turns out that if I remove the control panel from the boiler and loo at the back of its casing, there is a dogeared sticker with all th information on it. Talk about making it easy to find - NOT! :-)

Anyways, the nozzle size is correct and it looks like the oil pressur is 140psi, which is damn close to 10bar which I think is the factor setting for the BFP11R3 pump so hopefully no actual adjustment will b necessary.

Now I know the nozzle size and pressure I can find out what the oi flow and boiler power are.

Woo-hoo

-- Digsy

Reply to
Digsy