Oil or gas? - installation costs.

As I sit here waiting for estimates to come in for replacing my gas CH boiler, I realise that I've not asked for any quotes for oil.

Given the labilty of gas prices just now *and* the fact that I can't stockpile gas, suddenly oil is looking attractive.

Obviously having a tank installed is going to push the cost up but I was wondering if the boilers were that much different in price. In addition, is there any problem with getting oil up to my loft where the boiler is installed?

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Well, you can, but it probably wouldn't be permitted.

And if you had gone for a capped rate, then in effect, you could have stored case.

Nope, it can be pumped without problem. AIUI, oil boilers can be slightly more expensive.

Unless you've got a large amount of space, storing say 2 years of oil may use a prohibitive amount of space.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I would say storing 2 years' worth is very doable. Our tank is a 2500 litre, and that lasts us around 14 months (3 bed stone house, moderate insulation). We could easily add a second 2500 litre tank.

Reply to
Grunff

I don; think there is much difference in boilers. You have things like fire valves to add in, and some nasty 10mm pipework.

However now that north sea oil and gas is a fading memory, its likely that oil and gas prices will synch and stay that way..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Dear me. And not only that, you may have a deal of trouble filling it up, convincing customs and excise that 25,000 litres of kerosene out to be charged at the domestic VAT rate...not industrial.

Far better to take out some covered warrants on oil price rises..

The Natural Philosopher

Must be a small house then. I use more than twice that on fully specced insulated 6 bedroom house..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It is quite small - footprint is 8m x 8m. Loft is heavily insulated, all windows double glazed, quite draught-proof.

Reply to
Grunff

And you get 3 beds in that? I'm imagining a converted water-tower, or one of Mr Prescott's "affordable" fully-fitted shipping containers, sorry, key worker housing.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Why worry? just fill up over two or more deliveries so you don't trip the commercial threshhold

Reply to
John

It's a 1930's farm house in Devon. There are 2 bedrooms ~ 3.5x4.5 and one 3x3. The bathroom is also ~3x3. That's all there is upstairs.

Reply to
Grunff

Ah Devon. A few degrees warmer n average than our shivering East Anglian winters..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher