? Oil for cable conduit pull through?

I need to pull some cable through a flexi plastic conduit which is a little on the tight side - the cable is twin and earth and the conduit is that grey flexi, convoluted stuff frequently seen on the continent (as it came from there) and apparently there is a yellow lubricant I think like a thin silicon grease that eases its way through the conduit. I haven't got the yellow grease,....

so the question is.... is there a suitable everyday UK alternative ?

Thanks,

Nick

Reply to
nick smith

Hellerman sleeve oil - that's what's used to ease rubber sleeves onto electronic cable. Electronics suppliers like RS etc. Quite pricey, but a little goes a long way, and it keeps well.

Other thing might be a medical lubricant safe on latex etc gloves? Probably more expensive, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A smear of margarine or washing-up liquid will do just as well. Not too much though, just a little on the leading end for about six inches, should work OK.

Reply to
BigWallop

I've seen cable jointers using Swarfega to get pvc-sheathed concentric service cable through service ducting, if that's any help.

Reply to
Wanderer

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 20:51:40 GMT, "nick smith" strung together this:

Washing up liquid or squirty soap. (Probably be someone along in a minute to tell us of the scientific reasons why you shouldn't do this).

Reply to
Lurch

Talc - probably :-}

What sort of load are you pulling from the other end of the cable - have you allowed for changes to the rating of the cable given the "tight" nature of the conduit (unless its only a short run) ?

Do you intend to use the conduit and T&E in a "flexible" environment, where the cable might need to move with an appliance etc ?

Reply to
Colin Wilson

============= The lubricant you're thinking about is probably tallow. Buy it at:

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

I've always used KY Gel in these tight situations

Don.

Reply to
Don Spumey

KY or something similar? But don't buy in in a chemist - go to a "country store" (eg. Mole Valley Farmers) and get some cow lube by the litre, complete with retractable applicator tube...

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

No, AIUI talc or French chalk use to be used with the old cotton rubber cable (i.e. single core cable for conduit installation), I've certainly come across chalk residue in old installation in the past whilst replacing (many years ago) cotton covered with PVC cable.

I can't what used to be suggested for PVC but it wasn't chalk.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

In message , nick smith writes

Why not use KY Jelly ?

- should be safe on plastics and rubber

... and guarantee satisfaction

Reply to
raden

I am sure you will get some somewhat, er, interesting replies to this!

I was faced with an almost identical problem recently, when I had to pull a couple of grey twin-and-earth mains cables plus three 4-core alarm cables through a long length of flexible conduit. The solution I used, one that has worked for me many times before, is to squirt Mister Sheen or some similar silicone-based cleaner/polish on the cables, and then give them a quick wipe. Works a treat, but I don't recommend it for bedroom activities!

Rick

Reply to
Richard Sterry

oooooooooooo, I remember those rubber sleeves so well, and the 3 pronged 'virgin breakers' we used to apply them with.

Reply to
fred

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 22:48:04 -0000, "Richard Sterry" strung together this:

Oh dear oh dear, that's a failure for a start.

Reply to
Lurch

Try

for a free sample of P-80 THIX rubber lubricant. You can't buy it at a chemist's but a free bottle goes a long way.

Reply to
Eiron

Yes - load is about 300 watts and the cable is 1.5mm twin and earth, so I think there is enough margin of safety there.... I could use 1.0mm but 1.5mm is what I have so I am using it.

No - its a fixed environment - twin and earth is not intended for a flexible environment as the copper will work harden and fracture.

Nick

Reply to
nick smith

I used it all up on the first run - now eyeing up the washing up liquid... if I can find it... I last saw it on the bedside table I think, by the batteries...

Nick

Reply to
nick smith

Heh heh. I've heard it called the honeymoon tool.

I use them lots - nothing to beat them. Difficult to get the selection of colours that were once available.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The only scientific reason I can think of not to use squirty soap is that it's expensive. :-)) Washing-up liquid is cheaper.

Reply to
BigWallop

The stuff you want is Yellow 77 Pulling Lubricant:-

said that it is always simpler to run singles through conduit rather than T&E. If needs be then strip of the outer sheath of the T&E.

Reply to
John Rumm