oil fired burner: smelly and needs servicing

Hello,

We have moved into a house with an oil fired CH/HW boiler and I'd like to get it serviced, just to be sure everything is ok before the winter (assuming we get a summer!).

It's very smelly. I've never had an oil boiler before. Are they always smelly or does that suggest something is wrong? Surely the oil should be inside so the smell should not come out?

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

Sorry to add to my own post but I know that if I have a gas boiler serviced I should use a CORGI person. Is there a similar scheme for oil boilers? How can I be sure I get someone good? Is there an organisation the engineer should be a member of?

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

I know when you write a query to Usernet, it is very easy to get involved in the typing and forget to actually think about what the answers are likely to be - in this case nobody will be able to give you a recommendation because you haven't said where you live!

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Stephen wasn't asking for recommendations for an actual tradesman so I don't think his location is important.

To answer the question, OFTEC is the oil equivalent of CORGI:- www.oftec.or= g

Steve

Reply to
stevelup

Yup. Some heating oil suppliers also offer servicing, and at a discount if they supply your oil.

A slight smell around the storage tank may be normal (from the air vent), but a domestic boiler shouldn't smell (old fashioned Aga/ Rayburns with evaporative burners might).

Reply to
dom

I have one of those old Rayburns, converted from solid fuel. I only notice an oily smell if, for some reason, the door to the combustion chamber has been opened, or if it's in dire need of a thorough cleaning.

My oil supplier has a service department, and I generally have the Rayburn serviced about once a year. I've done it myself, but it's not worth the time, effort, and mess.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Define "very smelly"? Ours occasionally has a smell of oil and very slig= ht warm iron oil smell.

What type of boiler is it?

Floor/wall mounted? Conventional to balanced flue?

OFTEC is the trade association. It's normally quite simple to service an= oil boiler but as this is the first time ina while that this boiler has =

been looked at it's probably worth the =A380 odd a service (inc routine =

parts) should cost. This service should include a full clean and vacuum = of the combustion chamber, cleaning of the burner, cleaning/check of the filter and fire isolator, replacement of the jet, cleaning and adjustmen= t of the ignition electrodes, smoke test of the flue gases (indicates correct air flow) and flue gas temperature check (indicates the effciency).

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

  1. No they are not always smelly.

  1. Your oil supplier may have a service department but equally you may have independant service technicians in your area, who are probably cheaper, and more inclined to do a better job as high efficiency sells less oil.

  2. There is a trade body - OFTEC but oil service does not at the moment require a registed technician although OFTEC membership does mean the guy has been assessed as competent once at least.

  1. You have not told us what make and model your new boiler is

  2. similarly - where are you?
Reply to
cynic

When I had a Stanley oil burner, I never smelled anything related to oil

- other than what I was cooking.

Reply to
Rod

the exhausts always do on any oil boiler.

Agas don't smell at all..well there is a slight whiff around the float chamber that's all.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It smells of oil but only when it has been on.

It sits on the floor. I don't know about flues. How could I tell which type it is? Would that make a difference?

I have looked at the Yellow Pages and whereas everyone lists their corgi membership (because they have to) very few list oftec. I emailed a couple that do but the only one to reply so far wanted £197!

I have not rushed to do anything because I have not had the CH on recently.

BTW I am in Derby. I wasn't originally asking for a recommendation of a firm, just how to find a reputable one, however personal recommendation is the best way to find someone, so if anyone knows...

Thanks.

Reply to
Stephen

Google for OFTEC.