Oil filter change in old car - how often?

You would loose your shirt then.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Its actually massively in favour of power saving and not in favour of batteries.

A lead acid car battery is only slightly better now than 60 years ago.. they are still the same size, shape and weight.

The lithium batteries of today last a bit longer in total lifetime than those of 10 years ago, but they are no smaller and lighter.

OTOH my Atom based server is blindingly fast compared to an IBM PC of 25 years ago and use almost no power at all.

with mobile devices, the difference is even more marked - a friend who worked at Acorn on the original ARM designs said 'we had no money to develop large chips: so we did the best we could with the amount of silicon we could afford. Basically we made it run bloody fast. It was about 5 years later when people noticed we had more MIPS per watt than anyone else, and tge business really took off..'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The Greens advocate Land Valuation Taxation and nio income tax. They are worth voting for.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

In what universe? If they got in, I can't see them throwing over a main and vital source of gov't income.

Not likely. I've had a taste of those wankers and never want to see them in power - the only thing worse than megalomania is self-righteous megalomania.

Reply to
grimly4

Imps were rear-engined, rear wheel drive and had swing axles like triumph spitfires. AFAIK At the inboard end was a rubber doughnut arrangement to allow the angular flexing, not a CV joint as we now know of ??.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

Indeed. Istr the only ones that worked long-term were GKN - there were others on the market, but none as good - iirc, GKN were the OEM suppliers.

Reply to
grimly4

Land Valuation Taxation brings in all the revenue HMG needs. A man on £40,000 per year would be £6,000 better off.

They got in, in Germany.

I can't stand the Tories either.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I thought they had fully independent, not swing axle...

..and I was in fact right..

The Natural Philosopher

Swing axle is fully independant. One wheel can move without the other.

The Imp rear suspension is semi trailing arm - just swing axle turned round a bit.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No- swing axle means that the wheel is bolted hard to an axle that swings.

Not an arm that swings, The imp rear suspension is not swing axle. The wheel has a UJ between itself and the axle. That makes it fully independent rear suspension in the parlance.

The front IS 'swing axle' however. except there are no axles as such..

The definitive feature of swing axle is that the wheel changes camber under loading. The definitive feature of fully independent dual wishbone or trailing arm is that it doesn't, or does so by design.

Mc McPherson struts are somewhat between the two.

Solid beam axles are another case entirely.They don't change camber but carry high unsprung weight and a lot of inter axle coupling,.

I suggest you do more research before opening your mouth.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

So? Independant suspension requires one wheel to be able to move independently of another. Which a swing axle allows. Prime example being the Triumph Herald/Spitfire.

Just a different design. But still independant.

How do you define an axle?

I'm afraid you're making up your own definition.

No they're not.

Bollocks. The only system which is more difficult to define is De Dion, since the wheels are directly linked by the De Dion tube.

The only type of non independant suspension (in practice) is a beam axle.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Probably not that good an example, since the Herald has a transverse leaf spring, which although solidly fixed above the diff, almost certainly allows one wheel to affect the other, to an extent. I can't find a diagram of the rear suspension of the Beetle, another swing axler. However, there's a good picture of the rear suspension of the Chevy Corvair here;

axle, fully independent.

And the car that caused Ralph Nader to write "Unsafe at any speed".

Reply to
Huge

Yes. Of course many suspension systems use anti-roll bars which negate to some extent the independant movement of a wheel.

Oh absolutely. Such uncontrolled and large camber change is never a good thing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The Herald had a transverse spring which was bolted to the diff in the centre. The later Spitfires had a transverse spring which had a sliding mount on the diff. I would say that makes one of them independent and the other better.

Reply to
dennis

never seen a 'sliding mount' on any spitfire ever.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

My mate's Herald had a sliding mount. It wasn't supposed to be, mind, and it made acceleration and braking interesting.

Reply to
grimly4

I'd guess he's talking about the "swing spring", though it's more pivoting than "sliding".

Alan Braggins

matter what you do, you're still going to get extreme camber angle changes as the wheel moves up and down. Fitting a stronger anti-roll bar may reduce the effects but will also affect the ride.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)