Oil filter change in old car - how often?

En el artículo , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com escribió:

He's been away for a while, probably "fixing" some plumbing in Thailand.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Fantastic Maxie! I see you are into planks. Very DIY indeed. Do you sit on a plank when you play inyour Paddy band? I am sure you look as cool as ice on that plank Maxie. Amazing, amazing. What a man!

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Maxie, I have been putting Dennis in his place for you. Yes Maxie you have support in putting down knobheadness. You are not alone.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

BZZZZZZ!!! Knobhead Alert!!!! BZZZZZZ!!! Knobhead Alert!!!! BZZZZZZ!!! Knobhead Alert!!!! BZZZZZZ!!! Knobhead Alert!!!! BZZZZZZ!!! Knobhead Alert!!!!

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

BZZZZZZ!!! Knobhead Alert!!!! BZZZZZZ!!! Knobhead Alert!!!! BZZZZZZ!!! Knobhead Alert!!!! BZZZZZZ!!! Knobhead Alert!!!! BZZZZZZ!!! Knobhead Alert!!!!

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

BZZZZZ Daily Mail reader Alert!!! BZZZZZ Daily Mail reader Alert!!! BZZZZZ Daily Mail reader Alert!!! BZZZZZ Daily Mail reader Alert!!! BZZZZZ Daily Mail reader Alert!!!

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I'm not a fan of high viscocity 'box oil. If I was local delivery or needing 100mph on the motorway every day then yes I'd fit the recommended higher viscocity if summer was approaching. With mostly light driving and the occasional burst of full torque (four seconds in third) the lighter oils work better. Less noise, greater acceleration and no baulking. The escalation of the cost of fuel to the private driver makes the blindfolded approach comical.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Oh that was good joke indeed. Wow!

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Many BMC boxes used engine oil. Even before the Mini where there was no option.

During the life of the SD1 Rover, the gearbox oil spec was changed from EP75/80 to ATF.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The early Mini was not suited to the oil available at the time. It was common to hear 2 year old Minis sounding like rattling cans of nails. Modern synthetics improve that gear in sump arrangement brilliantly. The later Minis with proper synth oils in the sumps stayed smooth all along.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Unlike you, I had loads of early Minis. The very first ones had cone synchromesh which wasn't up to the job. And if 'gears' crunch, damage will be caused. The box was changed to baulk ring soon afterwards. And that was as reliable as any other A series gearbox, ie so-so. The most common problem on an early Mini transmission was a bearing in the final drive.

Later Minis with larger engines and more torque put more strain on the largely unchanged 'box. Racing ones use a highly modified one. Synthetic oils didn't improve things at all over a properly serviced one using dino oils.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My first car was Mini, I have had three in all.

That is total nonsense. Oil in a Mini, or 1100, could be degraded seriously after 1,000 miles. Using pure synthetic the oils stays undegraded.

Only when the beefier drive shafts on the 1100 came did the Cooper come about, both in 1962 - using the same shafts. The 850 shafts could not handle a powerful engine, as many boy-racer DIYers found out when doing a DIY racing head change - the original shafts could not handle the extra power.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I make fast clutchless shifts by rev matching. The input shaft is controlled by engine speed and synchro is not necessary in most driving. It helps to have a fast engine pickup.

Reply to
thirty-six

You are remarkably ill informed about them, then.

More bollocks. Mini engines lasted just as well as any other A series if serviced by the book - which didn't include 1000 mile oil changes. And the gearboxes were pretty well as reliable as in other A Series applications. I ran several very secondhand Minis into the ground, and it was rust which killed them, not mechanics.

Sigh. We can add basic engineering knowledge to your long list of things you know little about. It's torque that kills such components, not power. And 'tuned' engines rarely increase maximum torque - especially home modified ones. For that you need to increase the capacity or use some form of forced induction.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You actually mean very slow gearchanges. No engine ever made slows up or speeds up fast enough to get anywhere near the speed you can change up or down with synchromesh.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You see that Mr. Bean, sitting on the roof of his Mini with his mop in his hand? That's you, that is.

Reply to
Jules Richardson

And your reading comprehension has never developed. I said engines. And given they share the lubricant, any early failure of that would result in reduced engine life.

They 'burnt out' drive shafts? Let's add chemistry to engineering to that list...

Synthetic *may* have been 'available' from '69 if you worked in an oil laboratory. But it took some 30 years before they became common.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The whole lot sounded like scap.

On sale around that time.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Hint: drag racers don't have synchromesh gearboxes

Reply to
The Other Mike

I think he might just make it as a shelf:

An ass big enough to hold belongings such as books

polygonum