oil cloth

i want to cover the top of an old card table with oil cloth. is there a type of oil cloth that sticks or can you refer me to the kind of adhesive i should use? Thank you

Reply to
patty

Oil cloth. Haven't seen any for years! Surely there is something better these days?

Reply to
harry

ISTR it was always nailed down. Fold it under the edge and nail it.

Reply to
harry

That is right and the posh types were nailed and a little strip of wood was attached to make it look less 'nailed' or at least one my granny had was. the usual issues are untidy corners and cracking on the bends, making it look tatty. Not seen any of this stuff for years now. It was all the rage at one time. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

It depends what "stuff" patty means. What seems to be sold in some places as oilcloth, we might tend to know as fablon, or sticky-backed plastic, rather than something you'd make a sou'wester from ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I have seen some examples of ordinary fabric (e.g. fairly substantial cotton or cotton-mix) which has been painted with numerous layers of PVA. And I do mean numerous - dozens of thin coats. The intention was to use it as a floorcloth but it would be fine as a table-top. If you go down this route, check the PVA you use - some are more cloudy, some end up with a rather soft surface, etc. So try before you commit.

Not surprisingly, I'd suggest PVA to glue it down, if that is the way you go. But you will always have trouble with edges that are easy to catch and start damage.

Reply to
polygonum

I always thought card tables were covered with a woollen felt cloth, as you say oil cloth is tough smooth waterproof stuff.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I'd like to see you make a sou'wester from oil cloth. Its a floor covering material and it was very stiff and would break when you bent it too much. The modern replacement is vinyl flooring.

Reply to
dennis

You're confusing oil cloth with linoleum. Oil cloth was, in my youth, used a table covering or waterproof clothing.

Reply to
charles

Indeed.

Richard

That is actually linoleum

Oilcloth is a difficult words. Oilskins, oil cloth?

The modern replacement is vinyl flooring.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not around here it wasn't. Maybe its a regional thing, if you lived by the sea you made cloths from oil cloth, if not it was another name for linoleum.

Reply to
dennis

No, it never was. Oilcloth was always a plasticised material for macs and tablecloths.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Or vinyl-coated fabric, a modern replacement for oilcloth. Ikea used to stock it, and I'm sure it's available elsewhere.

Reply to
S Viemeister

The modern equivalent would probably be vinyl, with a cloth reinforcement on the back. Very flexible to bend, but will not stretch so well. It was popular for chairs and settees in the 1960's, but they always felt cold and hard.

Maybe find some at an upholsterer.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

It probably was both regional and context based.

I remember oilcloth being used to cover chair seats (using tacks round the sides) and the lino on the floor being described separately as oilcloth.

Reply to
Bill

a good drapers will sell vinyl cloth and leatherette.

adhesive is PVA for the main area and Copydex to do the corners.Or Evostik.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

What you want is Fablon. Lots of suppliers here -

Chris Hogg

Oilcloth (these days PVC or acrylic coated decorated fabric) is fashionable. Fablon is not.

Reply to
Nightjar

I was never much of a one for fashion!

Reply to