Oil CH boiler (Wallstar 15/20) on the fritz, what next?

Maybe I should get a spare and keep it handy. However, the boiler won't see much use during the summer and autumn (I won't need any heating until at least September and I use minimal hot water except on bath days), and it will be due for its next service in November, which I may bring forward to mid-October. I might get the 'second firm' chap to replace the tube anyway. I'm not letting the first fitter go anywhere near it ever again.

MM

Reply to
MM

advises

By him? With his reasonable mark up from the cheapest internet price. The guy has to make a living... B-)

I suspect pump life would depend on how much work the pump has to do. A pump lifting fuel a metre or so will be working harder than one that has a free flowing gravity feed. I'd certainly have a two pipe system and tiger loop if there was any lift for the fuel. Otherwise the supply becomes negative pressure and thus likely to draw air in, air in the pump won't do it any good either.

That *must* in the specific case of a system without a free flowing gravity oil supply surely. Otherwise when the hose melts you have a fire being fed with a considerable quanity of kerosene...

The fire valve should be outside, indeed I'm pretty sure OFTEC regulations specify this.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

But this estate only has tanks below the boiler in all 40 installations.

It's not, though. It's inside the wall-mounted boiler housing.

This is all part of the saga involving the court case, as I am given to understand. The boss of HRM said when the regs came in "Take me to court!" They did, and he won.

MM

Reply to
MM

flowing

QED.

The devil is in the detail. The OFTEC regulations are not the law, though if you go against them you need to be fairly sure of your ground otherwise insurance companies might not pay out etc and be prepared to fight as this chap was.

If there is no free flowing gravity feed of oil into the building then it's not that relevant where the fire valve is. Though inside the casing seems a bit iffy to me, what are the seals in the valve made of? What happens to them at several hundred degrees centigrade?

If there is free flowing oil feed into the building the the firevalve really does need to be outside. I'd say that even if the interior pipe work was all copper and compression joints, who is to say what happens in a fire and the last thing you want is 2000l of kerosene being fed in...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice