Oil central heating - pros and cons?

We are still on the anthracite grains after more than 23 years in our current property as we still do not have gas in village. Have a 90,000 BTU (approx 27kW) gravity fed boiler doing DHW and driving 16 rads (large 4 bed detached). All rads have TRV's and system pumped by a Grundfoss Alpha pump. Last year (as in Mid October2007 to June 2007) we used about £520 worth of fuel (fuel went up considerably last year, but we have only used about 3/4 of our normal yearly usage). Boiler runs continuously 24/7 over that period and we maintain a constant

21C indoors. In the summer months I use an immersion heater running on economy seven heating an oversized lagged cylinder for DHW.

OK, I have to refill the boiler every 2 days in the depths of winter (about

2 mins work) AND I have to empty the ash can once a week - ooooh about another 2 mins work, oh and plus I have to maintain the boiler once a year (clean the tubes, clean out and lubricate the fan and sweep the chimney - about 2 hours work). Apart from that it is maintenance free. I have sufficient storage for a whole years worth of fuel which I buy in the summer at discounted rates.

I can honestly say I would not swop it for Oil/LPG or electric - I am undecided as to what I would do if gas became available, but that is highly unlikely now that gas availability is declining.

Reply to
Icky Thwacket

Principally because it's not fossil.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Well out here, its oil, electricity, solid fuel or LPG.

Electricity is too expensive LPG needs special installations and is more expensive than oil. Solid fuel needs daily attention. Oil just needs a tank and a pipe.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ive had my oil boiler 5 years and haven't even serviced it yet.

ISTR it was cheaper than gas/LPG models.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A few on her say its not and the tank overheads cost is no longer an issue. Also, having cooking on LPG saves on electricity offsetting and making it more attractive over oil. LPG gas installation are cheaper too. Gas boilers are cost effective to oil - and smaller.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

It doesn't matter how many times people say the above it doesn't change the fact that over the life of the installation LPG is more expensive due to the *on going* rental of the pressure vassal, whilst changing supplier is more involved as each supplier will only supply to their own pressure vassal - every time you change supplier your LPG tank will need changing, this is far more complex than arranging for a different company to fill your own heating oil tank!

Reply to
:Jerry:

A base for a gas tank. Changing the tank is easy as the pipes are already there - they do it free. I don't see the problem. The LPG situation changed for the better as many here have stated, making it far more cost effective. BTW, oil boilers tend have far shorter life spans than gas boilers. A good quality LPG boiler should go 25 years - parts permitting, which should be fine with a quality maker.

The rental is £50 per ann' approx. Less then the cost of the service of an unvented cylinder.

If putting in a new system or a boiler change LPG is well worth considering. Many have just dismissed it out of hand with consideration.

Also, see the damage if the oil tank leaks or a big spill. It can ruin the foundations of a house. Messy stuff.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Other than the very fact that someone has to 'invade and upset' [1] your property to do so, and shut down your system to do so, all that an oil tank needs is another supplier to fill the tank with the correct grade heating oil.

[1] if you leave your tank exposed and have a convenient access point that might not be an issue, most people will want to screen their tanks I suspect.

The LPG situation changed

Most dealers seem to be giving *gas* [2] fired boilers about 7 years on *economic* grounds, granted that many DIYers will be able to get more than that - are you seriously saying that an oil fired boiler is less than that?

[2] does LPG / Natural gas really effect how long a boiler will last?

The rental for a oil tank is £0 per ann' approx. So on your figures, using your installation life span, that is £1250 over the 25 years - lets say that the initial cost of an oil tank and it's brick 'spill sump' is ~ £250 (all DIYable) - hmm, 'nough said!

No, that is what you are doing, yes installing an LPG system will be cheaper in the short term but as the above shows, over the long term LPG is more expencive due to the rental charges - never mind 'costing in' the inconvenience of changing suppliers.

Err, with a correctly installed oil tank how can that happen? Anyway, have you seen what a LPG tank escape / fire / explosion can do and the evacuation area involved?!...

Reply to
:Jerry:

Hi Julian, Oil Boiler owner here as well. I am hoping to diy service but don't actually know where to draw the line on what actually NEEDS doing. Seems simple to clean /remove dust etc - and I'm sure replacing nozzle can't be that difficult! Do you own/hire the flue test gear and pressure tester to set up pump after nozzle changes, or do you not bother? If, the latter, has this ever been a problem? If you have the kit what do you recommend and where can I obtain? TIA

Please reply to group - email address is not monitored Ian

Reply to
Ian