Oil boiler flues

I have an 25yr old boiler and will upgrade to a new one before I have to get a condensing variety. I understand that modern boilers have much lower flue gas temperatures, and the current flue is 4inch cast iron up to a soot door (which is about 8ft above the boiler room floor) in a brick chimney which is lined with glazed pipe. There is no chimney terminal.

The question is: Do I need a stainless liner and flue terminal? Does the liner have to be straight through to the boiler or do you still have the soot door etc.?

I will get an OFTEC chap to Part L the installation at the end

Thanks

Ian H, Cambridge

Reply to
Ian H

I would suggest asking manufacturers to provide installation manuals. You can normally get these without actually buying the boiler.

Also see:

have a stainless steel liner, which I can see if I open my soot door. There is no provision for cleaning the inside of the lining.

Reply to
Michael Chare

YES I have had to retrofit liners after plumbers have simply gone ahead and put a modern boiler below an old flue. The water vapour condenses and leaks everywhere. It also rots the new boiler

Reply to
John