Oh, the irony of it..

We need platinum to make low emission cars.

To make platinum, takes power.

~To generate power, S Africa needs to build coal power stations. Thus increasing emissions of CO2.

Or go nuclear.. ;-)

Not just price of platinum to blow By John Dizard Published: February 3 2008 22:24 | Last updated: February 3 2008 22:24 Right at the moment when we really didn?t need another gasket to blow in the economic-financial engine, one has. This time it isn?t a leveraged, insured, hedged, guaranteed, recapitalised, disclosed, rated, structured, financial ?asset?.

It?s a real world process: the mining and refining of platinum. Leverage, or the dependence of a lot of stuff on a little bit of stuff, is a property not only of balance sheets, but of industrial processes. Without sufficient platinum, it is not possible to produce automobiles, trucks, and diesel engines that can be sold in North America, Europe, Japan, and much of the rest of the world. The catalytic converters required by environmental laws do not work without it. And right now, we are on a clear track to running short of the platinum needed to maintain, let alone increase, the production of gasoline and diesel engines.

The problem is the chronic electricity shortages in South Africa. All of the greenhouse gases produced last month by the conferees in Davos did not result in this problem being ?addressed?, as their organisers would put it. Now the only way to maintain existing clean air standards in the developed world is to build and operate, as rapidly as possible, a series of new coal-fired power stations to supply the country?s mines and refineries.

That won?t happen until 2012 at the earliest. In the meantime, the already absurdly high platinum price (up more than 40 per cent from a year ago), probably has to rise even higher to squeeze demand out of less critical applications such as jewellery. You can expect some fallback in the current price as you read headlines about South African mines and refineries restarting, reassurances from government ministers and electricity supremos, and so on. That correction won?t last, at least in the absence of a collapse of auto and diesel production. For one thing, the very speculators who will help with this price-rationing process will set aside more stocks with which to trade, which will also reduce usable supply.

Substitutions? More efficient use? Already thought of that. Platinum has been very expensive for a long time, which is why they name credit cards after it. Engineers have been making incremental reductions in platinum content for years, and they will continue to do so. Slowly. The stuff is just too useful as a catalyst, which means it helps promote a chemical reaction, such as breaking down pollutants, without itself being consumed in the process.

South Africa?s mines and refineries supply nearly 80 per cent of world production. In the rest of the world, for the most part, platinum is supplied as a by-product of mines principally supplying nickel, palladium, and other metals. That makes it hard to increase alternative supplies, even if the mining engineers and skilled workers were available, which they aren?t.

How did South Africa, and the platinum industry, wind up in this mess? Apart from what could be easily mistaken for pure ineptitude on the part of the responsible ministries and the management of Eskom (the electricity utility), the country made a huge bet on the rapid development of hydroelectric resources in neighbouring countries. The state was strongly encouraged to do so by its political supporters among international organisations and foreign governments, since the alternative, coal-fired power, was not environmentally acceptable. The hydroelectric developments, principally around Inga Falls on the Congo River, would have been ambitious even if the political stability and engineering skills existed.

So it?s back to the drawing board, and on the drawing boards are going to be a series of coal stations. Power rationing plans have been devised, which now call for a reduction of 10 per cent in electricity use by key industrial customers.

That?s worse than it sounds, by the way. You don?t make up for cutbacks on that scale in a metals operation by using compact fluorescent bulbs. In the short term, at least, power cutbacks will lead to disproportionate cutbacks in metals production. The very deep mines need to be constantly pumped, cooled, and maintained, lest they flood or collapse. So it is likely that ore will be piled up next to the refineries. The ore can only be used as doorstops or paperweights; to get platinum products you need the refineries.

Michael Jones, the president of Platinum Group Metals, which is building two new platinum projects in South Africa, says: ?We can use diesel generation for mining our relatively shallow ounces [of reserves]. As a practical matter you cannot do that with smelting. This [power crisis] will obviously have an enormous impact both in gold and platinum. There is a new engineering factor which has to be taken into account, which is megawatts [of power] per ounce.?

There is another interesting possible impact on markets from the power cutbacks. A lot of South African gold production has been hedged through short sales. It may be the case that the banks who lent the gold for the short sales have suggested that the cutback-plagued mines cover their short sales with open market purchases. That could have fuelled part of the gold pop in recent weeks.

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Copyright The Financial Times Limited 2008

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Question....

Why bother a UK DIY newsgroup with this crap?

If you need conversation responses go down the pub and make some friends.

Reply to
RW

Not really - same amount of emissions, different gases. The irony is that the car produces more CO2 with the catalyst than without.

The catalyst reduces nitrous oxides to oxygen and CO2; Oxidises CO to CO2 and oxidises any left over hydrocarbons to water and CO2.

Reply to
David Biggins

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@proxy00.news.clara.net...

Come off it, RW. TNP may revel in his almost troll-like status but the attached article is really quite interesting (well, I thought so anyway; but maybe I'm just a political nerd :-)

John Ionides

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@proxy00.news.clara.net...

No doubt there are newsgroups intended to cater for such nerdery. uk.d-i-y is supposed to be about entirely different nerdery :)

Reply to
Paul Rudin

How does a catalyst convert nitrogen atoms to carbon atoms?

Reply to
LSR

catalysts are just one option. There are newsgroups for this stuff if you want to read more.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@proxy00.news.clara.net...

The point is, that a lot of people are doing a lot of DIY that are seriously interested in reducing waste, and carbon emmissions.

I posted that lot up because it shows how silly a 'knee jerk' 'coal is bad' type response can really make nonsense unless its examined in the overall context of a complex global economy.

As with CFL bulbs, for example, which is a thread that was done to death without anyone complaining..CFL bulbs are barely DIY either.

And finally, unlike most other groups. uk.d-i-y is populated by a rather larger number of articulate and intelligent people than most.

So I thought it would in any case be interesting.

As far as going down the pub goes, its expensive, it involves alcohol and driving, they won't let you smoke, and the people there arer boring beyond belief.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

OK, so how do you DIY Platiunum recovery from the cat in the car I'm about to scrap? I'm thinking solar furnace, but is that allowed under Part P? In a kitchen? (I don't want to waste the heat)

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

Irradiation by cosmic rays. Shame the carbon is radioactive.

Reply to
Richard Meredith

The power shortages in South Africa have been addressed; the government is proposing the following:

  • Promoting solar water heaters and solar-power traffic and street lights.
  • Introducing liquefied petroleum gas (LP gas).
  • Distributing energy-efficient light bulbs.
  • Introducing power rationing.
  • Putting pressure on the coal industry, which is exporting its best quality coal, to provide local power stations with a higher quality coal.

So you see, there is absolutely nothing to concern yourself about - it's completely under control!

tom.harrigan

I do DIY for a living & don't give a toss about greenwash.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Isn't that some sort of contradiction?

tom.harrigan

I think solar furnaces in a domestic cooking environment are covered by Part Z.

I've had a stressful day and gone a bit mad.

tom.harrigan

Well he is self employed, so no, he 'does it himself'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Dunno, but catalysts are probably valuable things scrap wise.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Is that the government that reckoned smoking dried banana skins would cure AIDS?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No you don't do DIY for a living. The point about DIY is you're not spending money on somebody else's time to do it. You may be doing the same tasks, but it isn't DIY, by definition.

clive

Reply to
Clive George

Perhaps he means he takes money to do half-arsed, badly executed, work, using cheap, and unsuitable,a materials -- like most D-I-Y (judging from what I've seen in houses I didn't buy)?

Reply to
August West

Much the same here. I do give a toss about greenwash - I hate it. I think that's because of the mixture of ignorant [1], self-righteousness [2] and anxiety driven [3] hogwash.

[1] Mostly of basic science - secondary school level in the main. [2] The only people who live at a planet-average (is that sustainable?) level in this country are the very poorest and/or homeless. Groups that almost nobody wishes to be part of. Square up to the fact that if you live here that means you are part of the 'problem' not the 'solution', come to terms with the fact, and then get on with your life. [3] 'Bad' things may well be around the corner but it the dangers are often over stated and put into simplistic all-or-nothing terms. Whilst thee are a myriad of ways things can go bad there are also a myriad of responses that people can make in response.
Reply to
Ed Sirett