Oh look wood burners cause global warming.

and might tip us into an ice age.

Obviously someone has invented a REALLY expensive particulate filter, and they want us to ft them all at huge expense.

Mandated by the EU.

There is no other possible explanation.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

So that must mean then that forest fires are a bad idea.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Does cremation cause it as well?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

In message , at 04:14:52 on Wed, 16 Jan

2013, Brian Gaff remarked:

Apparently not: "organic matter in the atmosphere produced by open vegetation burning likely has a cooling effect. "

Reply to
Roland Perry

On Wednesday 16 January 2013 00:01 The Natural Philosopher wrote in uk.d-i- y:

I'm suspicious enough to agree.

Funny how when CO2 is not necessilarly the problem it was claimed to be, a new bogeyman pops out.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I'll carry some 'open vegetation' back to my woodburner then....

Reply to
Phil

As it is acknowledged by all sides, so many forcing mechanisms are known only to a very low level of scientific understanding (which raises questions over the accuracy of the models), there are plenty of bogeymen left after this one has been flogged to death.

Reply to
Terry Fields

There is no body of evidence.

Reply to
PeterC

as long as mine cause local warming first, I see no reason to get excited just yet

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Problem solved :-)

Reply to
Andrew May

Tim Watts posted

And whereas in the UK it has caused heavy rainfall and floods, its effect in Australia is the exact reverse. Everything that happens anywhere goes to prove the reality of man made global warming.

Reply to
Big Les Wade

Oh you mean like when Greenland was, well, green - or when the Romans had vineyards in Yorkshire ;-)

LOL

Reply to
Terry Fields

Given that mankind has been clearing woodland by burning for thousands of years, it is arguable the environment has already adapted.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Doesn't make any difference, does it. Whether stuff rots down to nothing or burns, produces exactly the same amount of CO2.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Unless the rotting down is anaerobic, in which case it produces methane, which is a more effective greenhouse gas, but with less persistence in the atmosphere.

Reply to
John Williamson

I was assuming stuff on the woodland floor to be aerobic by and large, but I suppose if there's a thick layer (or water) then you'd get methane.

Reply to
Tim Streater

There you go! same soot but has different effects depending on whether it comes from diesel cars or plants.

A masterpiece of doublethink.

Essentially what this means is that the whole world, chemically and physically undergoes a fundamental transformation as soon as a human being lays a finger on it.

They must be thinking of my wife..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , at 09:22:15 on Wed, 16 Jan 2013, PeterC remarked:

But it avoids an otherwise grave situation.

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message , at 11:42:38 on Wed, 16 Jan

2013, The Natural Philosopher remarked:

It's not the same soot. Burning dry (seasoned) wood is quite a different process to burning green leaves, not only does the soot/smoke differ but burning the green leaves puts water and other more complex organic chemicals into the air as well.

Reply to
Roland Perry