Oh dear, a new boiler now

His quote: £1948 inclusive, including extending the gas feed....

Reply to
Bob Eager

Sounds like decision made, then doesn't it....

Reply to
Andy Hall

That sound about right.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Yup, now had a look. The Netaheat was the 16/22, which was the only model in its range (at the time) to have pump overrun support.

I've identified all of the wires (wired up by previous owner, who was a Brotish Rail electrician). He's used the cable he obviously had available, and connections are OK but not intuitive or to my standards. I'm taking the opportunity to tidy it all up and present the installer with just one five core cable (so it will even fit the strain relief on the new boiler; I have downloaded the stuff on that).

I'll set him going tomorrow!

Reply to
Bob Eager

You mean there's a big third rail going up to the airing cupboard? ;-)

Sounds like a good approach.

While it's all drained down, it may make sense to replace the diverter valve for good measure and to take a look at the pump. If these are

Reply to
Andy Hall

I would....cylinder is 18 months old, diverter valve 11 months, pump 13 months. Programmer is also only a year or so old....

I am replacing the DP switch and fuse though! (got water in it from the leak). Even the ball valve on the F+E tank is pretty new...

Reply to
Bob Eager

A pal of mine had a house in Harrow previously owned by a maintenance electrician at Kodak. All the wiring accessories were surface mount metal clad, but fitted flush. Guess that's all stores kept. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

LOL!

Correct cable on the way from TLC.....

Reply to
Bob Eager

The message from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

I used to work with someone who'd previously painted engines for what was then British Rail. He did the stripy fronts - so his house was done in yellow and black.

Reply to
Guy King

Just a postscript. I phoned him first thing Monday, and he said he could start Tuesday. He arrived 0800 Tuesday, and worked until 1700. Same on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday. 0800-1300 Saturday, near enough. Didn't stop for tea or lunch!

He drained system and removed old boiler and flue. Took out all 13 radiators and flushed them through, also the F&E tank etc. in situ. Replaced the control and lockshield valves on 8 radiators, and put TRVs and new lockshields on the other five. This involved a lot of pipework modification due to differing valve size, on 12 of the rads. The above took a long time on its own, about 3 days. He tidied up some botched work BG had done on the F&E tank at some point. He removed and replaced much of the pipework in the airing cupboard, as there were two slightly leaking gate valves. He also replaced the pump as, although quite new, it was full of crud and he'd 'allowed for it in the quote anyway'. The airing cupboard work took several hours.

Then the boiler. He cut the flow and return back to above the ceiling to avoid unsightly bends and messy pipework. He then re-ran those to the boiler, neatly and straighter. He found the reducer on the gas feed and cut back to that point as the feed became 15mm just there; ran 22mm to the boiler from that point. Fitted new flue and had to do quite a lot of making good as the required hole was much smaller than before (the Potterton used a large rectangular hole). Put in condensate drain and lagged it. Filled and commissioned; ran with sludge remover. Drained and refilled with inhibitor. Gave us good advice about running it all.

I did the electrical work, so some DIY at least. This involved removing the old isolation switch (it's possible water got in it), removing an old gas cost meter (useless anyway with a modulating boiler), and removing the programmer. I had to re-run the wiring (mains and also to/from the wiring centre) as the old route fouled the new boiler. Cut out for a back box for the programmer and ran cable under plaster; provided 6 core plus earth flexible for boiler.

Total cost as quoted. £1948 inclusive. I'm pleased, anyway!

Reply to
Bob Eager

That's very good and value for money seems even better when there is attention to detail and cleaning up of previous work or worn out bits.

Reply to
Andy Hall