OFTEC registration query

Is there any way to check whether an installer is actually registered with OFTEC?

Pepper

Reply to
Pepper

Phone up OFTEC and ask ?

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

Quite so, OFTEC will be able to confirm registration and also what categories of appliance are covered by the individuals competence assessment. He or She should also have an OFTEC badge with ID photo akin to the CORGI badge ID which may be produced on demand.

Reply to
John

My thanks to both Rick Dipper and John. Unfortunately we weren't aware that it was a requirement that an oil firing installation had to be commissioned by an OPTEC registree so it wasn't until the installer said that he couldn't fill in the warranty cards because he didn't have an OFTEC number that we realised that we had a problem. He claims that he has applied for registration and is only waiting for written confirmation but that doesn't help in our situation. We are now having to find someone else to actually do the commissioning but it isn't easy and we didn't want to be mislead again.

Reply to
Pepper

Sounds extremely dodgy. OFTEC registration requires him to be assessed by an OFTEC appointed inspector as part of a theoretical and practical assessment procedure. If he has passed this stage he will be able to tell you where and when this was carried out and normally the paperwork aspect is complete within a couple of weeks. You should contact OFTEC to check but if he is falsely claiming competence he is open to prosecution both under trades description legislation and probably criminal law which applies to building regulations contraventions. At the very least he should pay you for any proper inspections and remedial works required with maybe a compensatory amount for your inconvenience.

Reply to
John