Oftec oil fired service engineer

Does anyone know whats involved with becoming an oil fired heating engineer? As the Island has no mains gas the majority are oil fired boilers and many more are switching from coal to oil, not many people doing it on the island so I'm thinking of that as well as looking to become a sparky, the more irons in the fire as they say. I've spent ten years servicing/repairing Medical devices so know the service game quite well and I would have thought a boiler would be somewhat less complicated than =A3100,000 analyzers and robotic sample sorters, and less chance of catching CJD, Hepetitis and the like. :-)

I would like to kick sommat off early next year and am weighing up my options. I dont want to work for an organisation again as I've done the career ladder thing and the stress given to supervisory level in the Medical Diagnostic industry is too much, even with a good salary it just isnt worth it!! And spending time at home is nice for a change, working locally will suit me fine :-)

I've emailed OFTEC for their advice but wanted to ask if anyone knows owt about it

Cheers.

Reply to
Staffbull

I dont, but it sounds like some pretty major surgery.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Staffbull" saying something like:

I did the OFTEC servicing course last year - cost about 1000 euros. Piece of piss - open book testing, but not very much in the way of service hands-on.

Express your interest to OFTEC and they'll tell you where the nearest training centre is and when.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Nice one Dave, do you do it for a trade now ?

Reply to
Staffbull

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Staffbull" saying something like:

Slowly building a round up. Early days yet. There's still plenty of other stuff to keep me going.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Local ( well Telford - 2hrs away) OFTEC centre are sending the bumph on their courses, I'm hoping as I'm officialy unemployed ( but the buggers dont give me any money as were earning too much as a couple apparently

- oh the tax I've paid!!) That i can get them to stump up the cost or arrange a grant for it.

Reply to
Staffbull