Office type chair on a new carpet

Hi all, I have just had a new hopefully hard wearing carpet in my living room, but just realised that the very comfortable office type chair I have with five legs on small wheels. I remember seeing the damage these wheels can do on carpet, and as I do not need to keep wheeling it around wondered if there were any cup type caps I could put under the wheels to stop any carpet damage. I hope this makes sense and someone can suggest something, Mick.

Reply to
Mick Cant

Andy Cap

Not a very elegant solution I admit, but I have a similar situation and have simply cut a circle of the same carpet, on which the chair sits. It's not perfect, but after quite a long while and plenty of use, the indentations in the normal carpet, are not *that* pronounced. I guess you could have it bound, if you wanted a more polished look.

Reply to
Andy Cap

I bought one of these from Ikea

which is specifically for the job. It's thick clear plastic and the chair glides over it easily. The same from Staples will cost you about £40

Reply to
Angela

B&Q do several. They'll reduce damage but not stop it. Search their site for 'castor'. For example:

Reply to
Dave A

There is quite a wide range of carpet protector mats available for use with desks and that is what I would use.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Totally by chance, I accidentally came across this page the other day. Only just remembered. The 'fitted' nature seems more appropriate to a chair than a standard 'loose' one.

Reply to
Rod

If you google for

castor carpet glides

you get a wide selection. Other folks have mentioned the snap-fit type, but an alternative is to replace the castors (assuming they're the type that pull out) with "rotatable glides" (example at , near the end of the page). They work very well, and there's no possiblity of losing one.

It's worth using one or the other: I had a lodger once who spent ages at the desk in his room. He barely moved but by the time he left there was a deep circular rut in the pile of the carpet.

Reply to
Jon Fairbairn

I like the 'sets of 4' - almost all chairs nowadays have 5 wheels!

Reply to
PeterC

Not almost. All of them. It's the law.

Reply to
Huge

I have a similar thing on a timber floor. I was surprised how much damage the wheels on an office chair did to a timber floor.

Kevin

Reply to
Zen83237

Ouch! I didn't notice that (I was just looking for a site with a picture). Wherever I got mine supplied me with a set of five.

Reply to
Jon Fairbairn

Hi all, I have emailed one manafacturer to ask if I can buy a set of five. I will post again when I get an answer, Mick.

Reply to
Mick Cant

One problem with those is they only distribute to load over what is a small additional area. They will still cause most carpets to develop crushed pile which, with an office chair, will eventually form a compete circle. I've used them with other furniture and they still mark but less obtrusively than the castors they house.

What I've done is to use a replaceable cord runner carpet under the chair and have a wooden board under that to spread the castors' point load over the main carpet area. It's worked for me for the last few years, compared to the dents caused by other furniture - and it doesn't look too bad either, defining the "office" :-) Much better than those large, interlocking rubber "tiles" sold for the purpose.

Reply to
John Weston

Precisely, but I do have an old 4 here - given away at work when the law came in.

Reply to
PeterC

Do what I did - lay a few peices of laminate floor to form a 4 ft square over the area where the chair will be used. protects the carpet and the chair will be easier to move around than it would on a carpet

Reply to
Zeke

I have a replacement set of wheels designed for timber and laminate floors. They have a slightly softer outer rim (but not so soft that it picks up grit to dig into the floor).

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

Mick. Hi all, I contacted,

J A Milton Upholstery Supplies Ltd,

to ask if I could buy a set of five, they sent a letter back saying they came in sets of four.

From other suggestions I will make a square from spare carpet.

Thanks everybody,

Mick.

Reply to