Off topic but wanted windows 98 disk

I know this is slightly off topic, I was wondering if any one has an old windows 98 cd, I would gladly pay for it plus postage.

Regards Richard.

Please reply to snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
Richard

Try ebay. There's usually plenty on offer there.

Reply to
Paul C Lewis

Thankyou Paul

Reply to
Richard

Do you have FTP to download the disk ?

Reply to
BigWallop

If you just need the files and can copy them to the HD for practicality using something like a boot floppy, then you`re looking at ~121Mb of data.

Sadly, the patches come to 156Mb according to my little backup directory :-p

(that might include win98 as well as 98se though, but I doubt many are duplicated - this will include IE6.x and updates, and DirectX 9b)

Reply to
Colin Wilson

In message , Colin Wilson writes

I heard that uS were withdrawing support for 98, 98SE and Millennium in January - better get your updates in quick.

Is there any way of saving updates to file ?

Reply to
geoff

If you find the right MS web page (typically for administrators) they are downloadable in most cases.

However they do intend you to use the automatic update stuff so it can take some hunting.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

On 15 Dec 2003, geoff wrote

Fred Langa talked about this in his recent LangaList newsletter, and gave a link to an article he wrote about how to do it:

---------quote start-----------

I have an entire feature-length article in the works for you that will go over recommended end-of-the year update/cleanup/tune-ups for ALL versions of Windows, but if you're one of the millions of users still running Win98, you might want to get a jump on things by grabbing *and storing* copies of all relevant Windows Update items so you'll have them on hand even when Win98 support dries up.

It's easy, and the basic process--- for any Windows version (not just Win98) was discussed in "How To Save Your Win98 (And Other) Updates Offline" in

.

You can use Windows Update to see what's already installed on your system ("View Installation History"); and then use the info from the link above to grab a fresh, stand-alone copy of the update item(s) that you want to save locally, so you can reinstall them any time you want, right from your own hard drive. (Or CD, or whatever.)

That process works for ANY version of Windows, by the way: You really never have to download any patch or update more than once. By grabbing it once, by the above method, you can install it any number of times from your local copy without ever having to download the same code again.

---------end quote----------

Langa's free newsletter is well worth subscribing to for this sort of hint/discussion. (He's also got a paid-for "plus" version which I don't get -- it's always sounded like "probably very good value", though.)

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Harvey Van Sickle

I think zdnet are keeping the updates going for a while longer, but don't quote me on that. There is also the download centre on the MS website itself that will keep the files stored individually for a few years more I would think. The Windows 98 original version is still very popular all over the world, so to withdraw the updates to this software would kill the MS company because no-one is going to rush out and pay the kind of money their asking for newer versions of Windows.

Reply to
BigWallop

It's usually a tucked away option with a name like 'network install' or 'administrator install'.

Reply to
James Hart

In message , Harvey Van Sickle writes

Cheers for that

Reply to
geoff

Someone in the office mentioned

(I think - not being a Windows user I wasn't paying much attention) where boot images of all MS "operating systems" are downloadable.

Reply to
Huge

In message , BigWallop writes

You can still access the updates for Win95 on the MS site.

According to:

Re Win98

'Microsoft will also continue to offer a variety of self-help resources on the Product Support Services Web site until at least January 16,

2006'
Reply to
chris French

In message , Huge writes

Good for cowboys and indians, but not for what you mention above. I think you must have slightly misheard the URL

Reply to
geoff

In message , chris French writes

In accordance with the Microsoft Product Support Lifecycle, no-charge support for Windows 98 ended on July 1, 2003. Paid-only support will continue to be available from Microsoft at $35 per incident until January 16, 2004. Support will also be available from some third party providers.

Reply to
geoff

In message , geoff writes

Yes, but in case anyone misunderstands, the quote from Geoff refers to direct '1-1' support from Microsoft - say on the phone.

I was just referring to the availability of download patches etc.

Reply to
chris French

The link should be:

Andrew

I have about 25 if you want one

Reply to
Andy

Attention please, "Huge" has committed a cardinal sin

I'll tell you why, "Huge" wrote: (in another post about "Spammed by Screwfix")

Yet he has just replied to a post in this thread in the exact same manner.

For this very sin he gave me a *plonk* rating so he won't be able to read this anyway will he!

Revenge is sweet.

(Sorry to go off subject, but I just had to do that)

Mike P.

Reply to
Mike P

You have a few bob waiting for you on ebay if you care to broadcast that.....

PoP

Reply to
PoP