Off-Thread replies...

In message , Gnube writes

Leave him alone - he's gnu here

Reply to
geoff

Is that another name for a merkin?

Reply to
geoff

You tell 'im - how many posts so far, 127?

How many on-topic? None

I like it

Reply to
geoff

Well I survived but the board is still intact, the muscular spasms in my calf muscles during the cutting of about 2cm were such as to cause me to abandon the effort. Also the ladder was getting in the way of the cut and moving it was problematic. So this weekend I will hire a small tower. After failing to sourc 240mm wide wood for replacement I have decided to use 18mm WBP ply instead, I have a number of suitable pieces I can rip a section from and sanded and painted you won't tell it from wood at 5m up.

All was not lost though, the ladder was put to good use clearing the guttering at the front which was full of moss and soil, probably from the roof. Hopefully we won't have the waterfall over the front door when it rains heavily again. It was also good to note that our 40 year old cast iron guttering is still in pretty good nick, front and back.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

Great news Peter, and glad to hear the legs stood up to the pounding. You've still got plenty summer left to get it finished mind. :-))

Reply to
BigWallop

Yes, but there is of course lots of other stuff I can spend the summer doing. I managed to source a single replacement roof tile this morning for the princely sum of 50p. So it will be back up tonight to install it. Every time I go out to the workshop or sit in the back yard that rotten bit of wood screams at me. It has to go for my peace of mind if nothing else.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

Does that include those who are doing it themselves?

:-)

Paul

Reply to
P.A.Osborne

Abdullah,

If you are reading this thread see what you have started - a BRAND new OFF-TOPIC group and without going through all the formalities.

This is this the first time for a little while that I have had the chance to look at this group and oh what a surprise.

It would be nice if YOU could have some further small input into the thread that you started and let us all know if you have a) found the answer to the question that you posed b) have you learned anything from the response to your original posting other than the fact that this group has a very healthy sense of humour outside the serious questions?

Anyway, another question to the group - how to you go about starting an official OFF-TOPIC topical newsgroup - that is if this is not off topic for this group. Or, could it be on topic because it is part of the on/off-topic question?

A confused Brian :-))))

PS. I think I will study the Theory of Relativity - it should be easier to understand LOL

Reply to
Brian

uk.misc - everything and nothing is off topic there. A group for the discussion of things there isn't a group for. Or not.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

What, being deviants?

Reply to
geoff

Er- basically sort of yes. The reasons why it was loose and in what way it was loose are non obvious tho.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oh my God! did *I* start this??? :-S

It wasn't a question, was it?

OK so I am English too (just living in Turkey!!), I have the same sense of humour (sometimes it comes into gear, if you look at my replies to some other threads)... Maybe that day I was a bit off-colour and was getting angry about some things... The safety valve blew onto uk.d-i-y...

Lets see if we can break the World Long Thread Record...

Reply to
Abdullah Eyles

Abdullah,

No please no, I thought the last one was never going to end - although I did have a good chuckle at some of the replies.

Oops! this reply may well be off-topic to the off-topic question ROTFLMAO

Best of luck

Brian

Reply to
Brian