Off-Thread replies...

Sky hooks BW, that is the way to hold yourself up when scarfing the old bargeboard.
What you do is fix a couple of hooks into the nearest static cloud, suspend a couple of ropes off these and the tie a scaffold board to the ropes to work off and dropping a rope ladder down to climb up to the scaffold board.
Never did quite figure out though what you do when the cloud decides its had enough and moves off.
Sorry, off topic and I should have suggested this in alt.cloud.scaffold.bargeboard.
Brian.
"Peter Ashby" wrote | > Never did quite figure out though what you do when the cloud decides | > its had enough and moves off. | To do this you need a large fan mounted on a tower, this can then be | used to oppose any air movements which might cause your cloud to depart.
If you have a large fan blowing upwards, you could stand over it wearing a kilt and control the speed with a dimmer switch so the airstream blew you gently up to the top of the tower.
Owain

This is getting interesting. Can you elaborate more on this please ?
(me' gets notebook ready, as there may be a movie script in the offing) :-))
On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 22:44:46 GMT, "BigWallop"

Mary McPoppins? ;O)
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}
Peter Ashby wrote:

The ansaer is ismple. Hire a diger and build a 4.2m mound out of the spoil you generate to make a pond, and stand on that.
Afterwards, you can take all your household waste, obviating the need for the skip, and any theiving pikey bastards that don't read Usenet, throw the lot in the pond and FILL IT IN AGAIN, this solving four prtoblems simultaneously, and indeed, what to do wityh the moher in law if you are so inclined.
Then plant a nice tree on top, and enjoy watching paint dry whilst it grows.
Hmm. I think I must be running a fever. Did I really write all this shite?

Hee Hee Hee !!! Yes !!! We're slowly getting to you as well. Moahahahahahaha !!!! :-))
writes

Is that another name for a merkin?
--
geoff

Well I survived but the board is still intact, the muscular spasms in my calf muscles during the cutting of about 2cm were such as to cause me to abandon the effort. Also the ladder was getting in the way of the cut and moving it was problematic. So this weekend I will hire a small tower. After failing to sourc 240mm wide wood for replacement I have decided to use 18mm WBP ply instead, I have a number of suitable pieces I can rip a section from and sanded and painted you won't tell it from wood at 5m up.
All was not lost though, the ladder was put to good use clearing the guttering at the front which was full of moss and soil, probably from the roof. Hopefully we won't have the waterfall over the front door when it rains heavily again. It was also good to note that our 40 year old cast iron guttering is still in pretty good nick, front and back.
Peter
--
Peter Ashby

Great news Peter, and glad to hear the legs stood up to the pounding. You've still got plenty summer left to get it finished mind. :-))
--
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Yes, but there is of course lots of other stuff I can spend the summer doing. I managed to source a single replacement roof tile this morning for the princely sum of 50p. So it will be back up tonight to install it. Every time I go out to the workshop or sit in the back yard that rotten bit of wood screams at me. It has to go for my peace of mind if nothing else.
Peter
--
Peter Ashby
Wanderer wrote:

and three lights are now working that were not earlier.
Having disassembled the electronic transformer on the LV lights, resoldered every joint that looked suspect, removed the transistors , looked up the part numbers on google, identfied that they were indeed just transistors, tested them, the fuse, the diodes and indeed every other component I could find, I then was pondering the fizz spackle flicker effect that had preceded the failure over some days...and noticed that the one of contacts that plug it all into the track system showed a nasty arcy sparky sort of burn...Ho hum I thought, sanded it flat with the emery paper that is always littering the floor of the Model Aeroplane Factory, and went back downstairs to discover that one of the rails was loose in the track unit, and might well not have been fully located in the transformer.
Further work with the trusty emery paper and screwdriver, and a judicious pinky inserted in the other end of the track (lacking the normally obligatory gerbil) resulted in adequate geometrical colocation of transformer contact and track, and Abdullah Shabdullah, as the light switch was jerked, the bloody thing worked, and the cat jumped over the spoon...and the spouse was over the moon...
I wouldn't normally bore you with the hilarity of subsequently visiting the in-laws folks and seeing the new puppy attack and demolish a dog ten times its size - feisty little bastard... *i* don't like that dog either - which bodes well for synchronicity and morphogenetic fields, and indeed general burglar alarmishness of the canine kind...but having seen direct evidence of such paranormal manifestations, I realised that in fact, I had to rush back here to pose the actual question, to which I had obviously received the answer via a period of living backwards in time.
So, "How do I make my light work again?"
That is the question...
Regards, The once and future savant. Nee mage. Or is it Nay, mage?

So it was just loose then ?
On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 23:00:00 GMT, "BigWallop"

I think it may be by next Wednesday - as far as one can tell with a narrative of that sort! ;O) I think he should get his own BBC2 series with collage video graphics called 25 or some such; it could start with an announcement saying "the following events happened next week some time" ;O)
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}
BigWallop wrote:

Er- basically sort of yes. The reasons why it was loose and in what way it was loose are non obvious tho.

Why should we ?
If a thread drifts off topic, it drifts off topic, that's life, and if it degenerates into who can generate the worst pun, that shows that we're human

But we choose to communicate in this forum for certain things - other communications are indeed conducted via email

Like it or lump it chum Try going to e.g. uk.rec.motorcycles and make the same request
I haven't actually noticed an awful lot of useful input on your part ...
Or are you just a troll in desperate need of feeding ?
--
geoff

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Abdullah Eyles) wrote:

Well, you have a point, and I'm probably as guilty as the next man, but then again, that's one of the joys of this ng; it is (generally) a very friendly place, and it is surprising just how much useful information you can pick up from a seemingly unimportant anecdote. Banning them would take three quarters of the fun out of it. This isn't a meeting of the Parliamentary Subcommittee on Doing It Yourself, it's more like a gang of people sat around a few tables in the snug of a friendly pub somewhere, occasionally swapping tables.
Two things. Firstly, many regulars here will insert [OT] or OT: at the beginning of the subject line when it is obvious that something is going way off track. On top of that, some will even *change* the subject, though not the "references". I dunno, perhaps we can encourage this.
Second, I am certainly no expert in Googling, but I suspect that it should be reasonably possible to weed out such replies, even if just visually.
I am fortunate enough to read the ng offline (though at the end of a 33k6 modem), and choose what to read by headers (subject) only. Most days there are at least 250 posts, but I only download half of those. I dread to think what is going to happen when (if!) I next go away on holiday for any length of time, but I won't be complaining about OT posts :-)
Relax a bit. If you can't afford hours searching because you have an urgent problem, take the plunge and ask. One or two may say "but we discussed that 18 months ago, can't you look it up?" but others will probably jump right in with an answer... or more probably three completely different, mutually exclusive, answers, four more answers that are variations on one of those first three, and twenty-five anecdotes about "what happened when I accidentally connected the water main to the gas main" which are vaguely on topic, but don't even attempt to answer the question.
Hwyl!
M.
--
Martin Angove (it's Cornish for "Smith") - ARM/Digital SA110 RPC
See the Aber Valley -- http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/abervalley.html

Oh my,
And what has he done? Started a long, off-topic thread. Where will it all end? Probably when the reel is empty.
I am now unable to make any sensivble postes I have just finsihed the last bit of a bottle of bourbon HIC!
Brian
Is this off topic I ask?
writes

--
geoff

Here is one of the OP's "relevant replies" on the subject of how to stop water getting in under a garage door...

... doesn't seem very relevant to the topic, does it?
Al Reynolds
Al Reynolds wrote:

Well fished out Al.
--