Of routers and router tables.

I have a B&Q special "P pro" half inch router. (CLM1250R for the anaroks among you). I just bought a Nutool router table (BT102) and find that it only takes routers up to 150mm diamater base. Mine is...

170MM. Effectively that means it only takes a quarter inch router. Shite! What a waste of money. Looks like another posting in the friday ad coming up. Anyway...

Anyone got a RECCOMENDATION for an AFFORDABLE table that takes a half inch router? Ideally one I could go out and buy today as I want to get these jobs finished. The screwfix one (p544 volume 75) hasn't got size info available and is a bit expensive at the mo'. But maybe thats what I'll end up having to do.

Thanks.

Reply to
Mike Barnard

Depending on how much routing you need to do,might be cheaper to buy a Nutool router to go with the Nutool table. I have the latter, and with plenty of added guides & clamps, it works a treat for the occasional job

Reply to
Paper2002AD

Make it.

Take a top of 3/4" MDF with a frame of 2"x1" round the edges. Make an insert plate of Tufnol / Perspex / whatever and drop that into a routed shallow mortice. Use a ten quid Lucky-Workfriend folding bench as a leg donor.

And if you're brave, make the fence too. 4" or 6" wide L section MDF "angle iron" with buttresses, stuck together with biscuit joints. Cut a 2" diameter half circle out for the cutter.

Put sliding false fences of 3/8" MDF on the face, with a small notch at the bottom for close and adjustable cutter clearance. Flat head roofing bolts in a slotted counterbore are an easy way to attach them that won't protrude about the surface. You can also replace the fence faces if you ever bite them.

Don't try to make it slide for adjustment, just pivot it - bolt one end, slot the other. Use big thumbwheels (Axminster or good toolshop) into screw-in threaded inserts in the tabletop beneath.

If you're energetic, box in the back centre section between buttresses (use clear Perspex) and add a vacuum hose attachment.

Then make some other fences, like a horseshoe or a pin, and attach those through the same sort of inserts.

Wax the lot against moisture. Don't omit the edge frame, or it'll sag.

Also fit a big switch and socket that you can access without reaching underneath. Axminster do a decent NVR switch that's about right.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Thought about this, but I don't want or need 2 routers. 2 sets of bits. 2 cases etc. No room. Thanks anyway.

Reply to
Mike Barnard

Heh, and why not! Problem was I was in a hurry and I'm not an expert, yet. But this would make a nice project later. Thanks for the idea.

Reply to
Mike Barnard