Odd steel beam section size

I recently picked up a couple of steel beams - I asked for 102 x 178 universal beams.

After we put them in, I measured them and they were actually 92 x 182.

I can't find any reference to this size in any published UK tables, so I wonder were did they come from?

dg

Reply to
dg

The message from "dg" contains these words:

It's not even an Imperial size. Odd.

Reply to
Guy King

"dg" wrote

I have some European steel tables which list this size.

h=182 b=92 t(web)=6 T(flange)=9 r(root radius)=9 Weight=21.3Kg/m

The designation is IPE and references Luxembourg, Germany and France.

HTH

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

As a general comment, steel beam sizes are nominal (this is a 7x4 in old money) and the actual size of the section may be a bit different. Where the same section comes in more than one rolling weight, e.g. 203x133x25 and 203x133x30 the widths and heights will be different; the distance between the inner faces of the flanges stays the same

As said, this is a Euronorm IPE180O section, about 10% heavier and stronger than what you asked for, so nothing to worry about.

Perhaps the next thing is Indian Standard Sections!

Reply to
Tony Bryer

I can take the accro's out now then!

dg

Reply to
dg

"dg" wrote

I would be inclined to measure and note the actual web and flange thicknesses for future ref. just in case. But maybe that's just obsessive!

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster