Odd Screws

Went to the car this morning to find two flat tyres - both nearside. Both with screws in them. Checked the road and found a few others outside a house opposite where the gas people had been working. They were unusual in that they looked like ordinary twin thread screws - but had a torx drive instead of the usual pozidriv. Had a load of letters round the head too. I'd love to identify the nice man who dropped these screws and couldn't be bothered to pick them up - and give him the bill for a new tyre plus one puncture repair...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They sound like the screws the double glazing firm used to fit UPVC frames into the wooden studding of my dormers.

Reply to
Huge

No new windows been fitted close to here that I can see. Of course the van or whatever could have been parked some way off from the job.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Presuming that you are alleging that the gas people were the cause:

You would have to have incontrovertible proof that A - one of the gas people dropped the screws due to negligence B - identify the actual perpetrator and C - have independent witnesses to corroborate that fact.

As a matter of interest, why would any of the gas persons want to walk across to the other side of the road from where they were working (presuming their vehicle was parked outside the property where the job was)?

BTW, the screws could have come from anywhere as they are used in many different applications.

Reply to
Unbeliever

They were parked where I found the screws, and where I'd parked later on the same day.

Could be. Although dropping and leaving several of such things - but kicking them into the gutter - isn't exactly careful behaviour.

Who said they did? I had parked on the other side of the road earlier.

That's what I was wondering, not having seen them before. I was hoping they might be exclusive to one company.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave Plowman (News)" saying something like:

Outside my house is a hump-back bridge which some loons take at stupid speeds. It's quite amusing hearing the cracking of oil pans, some days. Said bridge often catches out trailer owners as it's a nasty hump if taken at just the wrong/right speed for the combo car&trailer, leaving the trailer flying in the wake of the car and thudding down like a lump of concrete, launching its contents into the air on the rebound. A couple of years ago some eejit builder with trailer went over at the wrong speed and liberally scattered copper roofing nails all over the road - luckily for me I'd turned left that morning and missed all of them; not so lucky for the people passing by, the road to the right was carpeted in them. Many, many punctures ensued.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I remember in 1969 a wagon overfilled with metal turnings going down the M5 covering the road for several miles with the stuff. The motorway was closed (by being blocked with immobile vihicles with multiple punctures) It took some time to remove the turnings as they were embedded in the road surface

Reply to
<me9

I still count my most terrifying moment on the motorways as a trip down the M56 to Chester. Just after Junction 14 a passing car sprayed me with what seemed to be gravel. Then the same car started to swerve wildly across the road. I felt my steering get light and slowed down gently, eventually getting some feeling back in the steering. All around me cars were skidding about as if on ice, but it was a fine summer's day. I realised that the motorway was covered in ball bearings. About 400 metres down the road things were back to normal, then I passed a sign "Debris in Road".

I was working for HA at the time and phoned the local police responsible for setting the signs and sugested that they move the signs about a mile closer to Manchester and imposed a 20mph limit until the stuff could be cleaned up. Apparently a passing truck had dropped a large cardboard box with 50Kg of ball bearings half an hour before, but the driver had given the wrong location for the incident.

The car I was driving looked as if it had been shotgunned with big dents in the bodywork and cracked wndscreen/shattered side windows. Fortunately it was a works hack not my own car.

Reply to
Steve Firth