Odd cut outs on VW Polo radio

I have the above, every few minutes the radio cuts out for a very short time, just about enough to lose one word, this has happened since new and has not got worse, just a petty annoyance really. Is this normal or does it have a fault, if it is a fault I would think it extremely difficult to diagnose? Any ideas please?

Reply to
Broadback

Does it do this on AM and FM? What about CD or other sources?

Does it do it when parked?

Move the aerial about to simulate the vibration it would get when moving, a poor earth connection to the metal of the roof would stop the RF amp working in an active aerial.

Reply to
Graham.

If the answer to the above questions about CD and other sources is its okay on them then you could be suffering from the problem that I suffered from in the past. What part the country do you live in because if its like the shires you could be suffering from the dreaded RDS TA.

Because I live in the Chiltern hills using the automatic switching to the frequencies is great. But if you have traffic announcements on my radio will often go off to a local radio station for a traffic announcement, only to discover that at that point in time, it cannot receive that station. The end result that is you lose a word on what you're listening to. For me the cure was simple turn off traffic announcements. The severity of this problem appears to vary from one make of radio to another. My very expensive Sony radio suffered a lot, the factory fitted Ford radio that we now use on a different car is much better but still does the same thing to a lesser extent.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Gary

TA is 99% crap in the Chilterns anyway.

I would leave work (only inches over the border in Berkshire) and get announcements from Surrey, London, and some others - but the appropriate Three Counties Radio service was unavailable - at all.

Even when it became available as I got closer to home, the way they shout over a "music" backing made it detestable. The information was almost invariably out-of-date, often inaccurate, and virtually never in time to help. And they always concentrated on the M1 and that general area. Plus the near-universal issue of stations switching to RDS-TA mode while they carry on with inane drivel and crap music.

Yes - the switch to a TA which was then not available did quite often happen but, somehow, always seemed fairly obvious.

So 100% agree - switch off TA in the Chilterns.

Reply to
polygonum

This may well be the OPs issue if it affects FM only.

Incidently I have noticed the affect in many areas other than the Chilterns, including here in Manchester.

Reply to
Graham.

On 22/12/2012 15:43, Graham. wrote: Snipped

I must confess I only ever use the FM, also never the CD, so I cannot answer if it faults on those. As regards TA that is mostly on, I live and drive mainly in and around Stoke on Trent and Manchester. I have not noticed if it happens with TA off, will check on that. As an aside the most annoying thing about TA is that the station does not "switch it on" until some way into the announcement, so the important bits get missed, this admittedly is mainly Radio Stoke. This also happens quite often when automatically recording TV programs, so the beginning is missed!

Reply to
Broadback

Have you turned off the facility which auto-seeks for a stronger signal if it senses a dip in the station you are listening to? This can cause a silence whilst it (unsuccessfully) seeks. There is usually some menu option which can turn it off.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

"AF" ?