OCGT

Hum why was there 163 MW of OCGT running this evening just before

1800?

Is there anywhere out there that shows what stations are running? Maybe buried in BMReports or SONAR?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

En el artículo , Dave Liquorice escribió:

Peak period, dark, cold, lights coming on, people getting home from work, making tea, putting the kettle on, putting the heating on.

Grid can't cope so NatGrid has to fire up the most expensive generating capacity to top it up.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Sixth most expensive. IIRC solar is the most expensive, then offshore wind, then onshore wind then diesel and then fuel oil and then OCGT..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

En el artículo , The Natural Philosopher escribió:

So when they fire up the diesels, that's the time to get the candles and Primus stove out, and tell the bird to stop charging her sex toy?

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

The first three you don't get to fire up. Oh, no. They deign to give you volts from time to time - their choice, not yours.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Well isn't that the way is should be, surely you wanted want the main strea m heating to be the most expensive then top up with cheaper......

For me it makes sense only to use the most expensive foprm of electricity a s little as possible or in emergency situations.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Could it be 'reversed' so it supplies energy back to the grid, it's only a motor after all.

Reply to
whisky-dave

And again tonight, first noticed 10 MW about 1720 up to 170 MW ten or so minuets later. Gone by 2000.

If anyone would know of a list of running stations I suspect it would be you...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Nope. there are grid engineers much closer to the reality than I am.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

EDF has a bunch of GTs for emergency power, they have to be run periodically to demonstrate their availability. In the old days of the "Pool" they would be run when the pool price was highest although IIRC they don't count as separate gensets, you just see more than normal output on the generator transformers.

I don't know whether National Grid might suggest good times for these test runs, or if there is any "bonus" payment.

Reply to
newshound