oak floor

Hi guys,

Im just about to start laying some oak T&G flooring in the living room. Now I can obviously hide the expansion gap under the skirting, but when it comes to the granite hearth, Im stuck.. Now i dont want to have any beading as it will spoil the look and obviously if i butt it up to the hearth im gonna have problems later on, whats the minimm SAFE gap i can use and ideally would it be possible to use some type of silicone product so it would blend in with the floor but still give me the safety gap

TIA

Chris

Reply to
chris

The best and most difficult thing to do is to get an angle grinder with a stone cutting disc and cut a line along the hearth exactly at the point where the top of the new floor will be. Cut out all below it. You will then be able to tuck the floor 'under' the hearth. You've got to cut pretty accurately, tho'!

Rob Graham

Reply to
robgraham

Use beading. Just lay it flush with the surface of the floor.

You'll need the ability to machine rebates. Make a beading strip that's 3/4" thick, like your floor, and has a wide half-thickness rebate underneath it. Machine a coresponding rebate on the upper edge of the floor. Chamfer the edges to look a bit neater, then lay them shiplapped.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Cork expansion strip is another possibility.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

How are you laying it?

If it's fully floating then I can see the need to leave an expansion gap, but surely not if each board is fixed down?

cheers Richard

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS