oak door varnish

I want to varnish a pine door to match some existing oak doors. I find that oak colour varnish dries with a redish tinge while natural oak with clear varnish has a brownish tings. What colour of varnish would you recomend for the pine door?

Reply to
curious

Two things - it's impossible to stain pine to look exactly like oak, but you may get a similar colour.

Second, don't use a coloured varnish, they all look complete pants. Stain the wood with a wood die then varnish over that.

Dave

Reply to
david lang

I'll second that: the moment you chip the new varnish you will see the old pine colour underneath.

Andy.

Reply to
Andy

Hi,

Have a look at the Sikkens website, their stains are designed to go on light woods and are pretty durable.

You may have to vary the number of coats to get an exact match, even mix two colours together (eg pine and oak) if necessary. Practice on some sizable scraps is essential.

AFAIK pine can be a bit problematic with spirit stains that are designed to soak into the wood, would welcome any experiences on this though.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C