O.T. : What Have We Done ... ?

No, but it reflects an adherence to standards that is in itself reasonably laudable. And something intelligent people understand the need for.

The current ethos is 'standards make people feel inferior, or superior and so we shouldn't have any'.

I'd trade a bit of wounded or misplaced vanity for competence any day.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes. And we are reaping the rewards.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not sure they are not alternatives in the case of strips of wood.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Obviously you've not given this much thought. 'The standard BBC accent' which was referred to was nothing like the best choice if intelligibility was the issue. It was simply the one of the upper classes in the south of England. And when heard now sounds very dated.

Everyone has an accent. And if 'standard English' is stuck to rigorously, the language would never evolve which would be equally ludicrous.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

's_lawor Google for "Muphry's Law"... and note spelling!

Reply to
mike

"McKean's Law: Any correction of the speech or writing of others will contain at least one grammatical, spelling, or typographical error"

Reply to
Reentrant

So you want someone to use your accent rather than just be able to speak clearly and use the words correctly and in the correct order. Possibly you hate Wilfred Pickles

Competence in the use of language is not dependant on accent. The clearest speaker I ever heard was a Scot from the Northern part of Scotland. He did not use words like loranorder or droring unlike some RP speakers we hear on the broadcasts.

Why do Southerners confuse batter with butter?

Reply to
Alang

But southerners tend to be the worst for imagining that they don't have an accent. Years ago when I worked in Essex, briefly. I can recall someone turning to me in the staff canteen and saying "Ere you ayent 'alf gotter funny accent intit?"

I pointed out that she had a funny accent too, and she refused to believe that her accent was anything other than RP. Mind you post Tony Blair, everyone seems to talk like that in the southeast.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Jeeves! Fetch me some pepper!

Certainly sir, black pepper or white pepper?

Neither you silly arse! Writing pepper.

Southerners all eat dinner at the wrong time of day as well.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Only to some UK builders and DIYers.

If you want a "lathe and plaster" ceiling, on your own head be it.

Reply to
Ian White

Yup. The clearest pronunciation of all in the UK comes with an accent from the NE of Scotland. Not to be confused with the dialect from there, obviously. 'BBC perceived pronunciation' is actually quite poor. Too many words with different meanings sounding the same. Wales and whales being the obvious one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And that huge city Ausfahrt - every autobahn seems to lead to it.

Reply to
Rod

Haitch. With the leading letter aspirated.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

The lore and drore stuff puts my teeth on edge. Southern friends don't notice it.

Reply to
john

Lots of footpaths in Wales lead to the pretty village of Cyfleusterau Cyhoeddus

Owain

Reply to
Owain

In message , Bob Mannix writes

I said it before, but it'll fit in here nicely

When I lived in Germany, one of the other recently arrived UK expats got stopped by the polizei and asked where he lived ...

"Weisses Lamm (A hotel) Einbahnstrasse Lauf"

was his reply

Reply to
geoff

I know it by another name - can't remember what it is though

Reply to
geoff

Announcer on the radio this morning: "Schumann's 'Stücke im Volkston', pieces from folk music. Or 'Stuck in Folkstone' as one player used to call it!".

Reply to
John Stumbles

Heh! - plus ca change: remember Tom Lehrer, back in the - what, 60s? 70s? - quipping how the US Army has abolished discrimination on the grounds not only of creed and colour but also ability?!

Reply to
John Stumbles

In message , Tim Lamb writes

Can you borrow me a fiver?