O.T. : What Have We Done ... ?

Both because of US rather than UK influence.

Perhaps most UK pilots will only have been taught metric measures at school - so why on earth stick with imperial here? It's the US which is out of step with the rest of the world.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Perhaps you never moved in the right circles :o) - it was the opposite of a local thing, I'm sure all the locals said Coventry and the home counties said Cuventry - I think TNP has also confirmed it somewhere in the thread.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Partly because of the danger of flying some aircraft that are 'calibrated' only in Imperial units.

There was the case of the aircraft in Canada that was refuelled with X pounds rather than X kilograms (because apparently kilograms are used in Canada, at least in part, for fuel). Other checks were overridden, granted, but it still happened.

(they were very lucky; the co-pilot was ex-Air Force and happened to know something about an old air base; the pilot was an expert glider pilot...).

I read about this years, ago, but there's a bit (not much) here:

's also Wikipedia, for what it's worth...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Well most of the world has been metric for rather a long time. So they must have managed.

Could have been the same thing using gallons...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The message from "Arfa Daily" contains these words:

I wasn't born anywhere near Coventry, or indeed, in the 50's, but I still have a 1953 pocket Oxford dictionary from my school days. That is a bit sparse on both words and pronunciations but it does single out a few where the pronunciation is either out of keeping with the spelling or has acceptable variations. This singles out covenant (ku) but not Coventry.

My 1970's Collins dictionary is a bit more explicit matching coven with covenant and distinguishing both from Coventry. The International Phonetic Alphabet it uses isn't transcribable here but the 'o' sound in coven is (allegedly) as in cut, flood, rough and son while that in Coventry is as in pot, botch and sorry.

Just to muddy the waters further my 1970s Shorter Oxford uses different symbols (or in one case the same symbol differently) but seems to agree on the sounds.

Nothing I can find even hints that Kuventry may once have been RP.

Reply to
Roger

Well I can't argue the point from references, I was merely remembering what I heard at the time. "Coven" (as in witches) "tree" was exactly how some posh and BBC types said it. As I can't prove it, I shall have to defer (but I knows what I heard!).

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Are you in or near Bristol? That's the useage there.

Reply to
Huge

Goven that the House of Windsor's motto is in French...

Reply to
Huge

Maxie, that is a fantastic idea. You always have great ideas. What a man!

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Maxie, hold on in there man. Hold on in. Thing may get better. How is it in the gutter?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Language changes.

Learn to live with it, because you certainly can't stop it.

Reply to
Huge

Indeed. In fact I put gallons to start with, then checked...!

Reply to
Bob Eager

I was thinking more in terms of the actual spelling of the word 'queen'.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

Shame that the airfield he landed on had been closed and converted to a drag strip. Very lucky to have missed the competitors and their families.

Of course none of it would have happened if they had fixed the faulty fuel gauges.

Reply to
dennis

Nah if they had put gallons in they would have had four times as much fuel. They might have noticed when it overflowed.

Reply to
dennis

There was so much luck involved at all stages. If only they'd followed proper procedures...

Reply to
Bob Eager

But which size gallon? US or Imperial?

Reply to
S Viemeister

Is there any point to this s**te?

Its an educationally disadvantaged dwarf.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

There never is a point to anything dribble writes, you should know by now, that *is* the point (to dribble anyway)!

Reply to
John Rumm

Do they still sing, Boiled Beef and Carrots?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel