O.T. : What Have We Done ... ?

No it isn't. As many people have pointed out you can get clear unambiguous english spoken in a variety of scottish, or west indian or southern english

*accents*. To name but a few.

E.g. a glottal stop is not an 'accent'. Its 'pidgin english' words elided and compressed to be almost undecipherable, but fine in the context of people who only know a vocabulary of maybe a 1000 words anyway. Their utterances can't be confused with the other 199,000 words in the English language because they think it is unreasonable for anyone to actually use them.

If not downright elitist.

"Why should we not be taught in Zulu in the township schools? English and Afrikaans is colonialist and elitist." "Whats the Zulu word for 'Philips head screwdriver' "We don't have one" "Is that a reasonable answer?"

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The message from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

No, that's Chinglish! :-)

Reply to
Appin

So why do you keep insisting on a single pronunciation? Castle the northen way or Cahstle the southern way - which is right? The correct answer is both, but a single standard doesn't permit that.

Reply to
Clive George

No. Similar, but not the same. No 'H' dropping in estuary English for example.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The two generally go together - except where a speech defect is present.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Look at the first line I've quoted.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No chip here old boy - I went to a grammar school where Latin was compulsory for the first 4 years. And appreciate the insight it gives into the development of our own language. But I don't see the point in actually using it for anything...

Quite so. I've no intention of using Latin - but will use those words from it which have been adopted into the English language. In the same way as I'll use words with a French or German root. But I notice you don't advocate using the native plurals for those - only Latin.

I look forward to you using the correct plurals etc for every English word with a Latin root.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In message , Doctor Drivel writes

Yes -just think, if we could get rid of them and you at the same time (dennis would be a bonus), how much better life would be

Reply to
geoff

That is correct, it is Welsh Water. Only some of Wales' water goes to Birmingham.

Reply to
Howard Neil

In message , Doctor Drivel writes

Is it your medication which is responsible for your fantasies, or the fact that you're hiding them from nursie and not taking the pills you need?

Reply to
geoff

To distinguish between Castle and Cassel?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Cockney was a distinct dialect.

Estuary is English with the hard bits and most of the meaning removed.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There is common usage and there is accepted correct usage and there is anything goes.

I try to adapt to the target audience largely.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , Howard Neil writes

Bit of sense of humour lapse ?

Reply to
geoff

I can't remember if it is, but it does have another meaning of friend, pal etc.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Some time ago - it's rather tautological, dontcha think?

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Just now, when you wrote it.

However I see "datum" used frequently in reports and hear datum used in meetings. Then again I work with literate scientists so they don't make tautological fauxs pas of the type that idiots like you make.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Only in parts of the country where marrying one's sister at the age of

14 is common.
Reply to
Steve Firth

English is the international language of aviation, so *there's* a useful standard, which makes (or *made*) aircraft control safe throughout the world. Except the French no longer accept it, and I have heard tell that it often causes much confusion to pilots, especially during ground manouever control. Also, the internationally accepted measurement 'standard' of aircraft height, is feet, presumably because the control language is English. Altimeters are still calibrated in feet, AFAIK, and flight levels are still in feet - like flight level 270 is 27000 feet. Except, I now hear news reporters quoting aircraft heights in metres. (I seem to think that I heard it recently on that otherwise excellent programme "Air Crash Investigation", as well)

Is that another French (or EU) thing, or is it just the BBC trying to be all PC, converting all feet into meaningless metre values ? Is this another 'standard' that's going to be destroyed ?

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

I too was born in the 50's, and have lived all my life perhaps 25 - 30 miles from Coventry, but have still never heard it said that way. Must be a very local thing.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily