O/T: Ubuntu questions.

I might be wrong but thought there were round CRT displays on some very muc h pre-PC computers.

it was compromised when thick faced CRTs came in, removing the need for a s eparate glass shield - the efficacy of which I doubt. Suddenly you got 1.5-

2" less picture per given screen inches. It then changed again with LCDs, w hich give more picture per inch than thick faced CRTs.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I am pretty darned sure that some early radar displays were round. Given the basic fact that the range of the radar system itself was often simple distance from a point, a disc shape display made sense.

Reply to
polygonum

That would be a trapezoidal shaped monitor ;-)

Reply to
Bod

Still well justifying your killfile entry, I see.

Reply to
Huge

Precisely. And some still are. Still, "Johnny B Idiot" has never seen one, so they don't exist, right?

Reply to
Huge

That was true enough of the earlier mainframes where having such a display was a novelty feature rather than a Glass Teletype terminal. Some of them might well have used a vector graphics display with a very long persistence phosphor tube allowing the full freedom of the whole display area whilst others, using a raster scan display, would limit themselves to the classic rectangular area bounded by the circular tube face, with or without a matching rectangular mask.

Details, dear boy, details! :-)

Reply to
Johnny B Good

It made *more* sense when they started to use these repurposed oscilloscope tubes to display PPI radar plots rather than show just the distance as blips along a horizontal oscilloscope trace.

Reply to
Johnny B Good

Yeah, see the CDC 6000 series circa mid-60s. You can read abaht it in Winky.

There was also such a display (or similar) on the CDC 3800 at CERN which I had to write to display physics event data.

Reply to
Tim Streater

It would - and that was the gentle amusement of interpretation.

Reply to
polygonum

He still has it. Uses the linux laptop for general use, has a Windows 7 laptop for video games.

I am not a professional computerist, just a lowly end user for 'the usual' nonsense. I have said for a long time - and still am of the opinion - that all OSes are equally as awkward to use. They try; they get close; they fail.

Such is life! ;-)

Reply to
David Paste

Cheers Tim!

My main reservations now are a lack of a program equivalent to EAC for ripping CDs. I know there are native alternatives, but they either have crap UIs or flat-out don't have the same capabilities that EAC have.

I could run it through WINE, apparently. I'll have a look at that.

Reply to
David Paste