O/t Trailer tyres

But, otoh, it probably has a high load rating for the size - remember, the sum of the load ratings on all tyres needs to be at least the MAM of the trailer. "Proper" trailer tyres are also quite low volume sellers, so might well be more expensive than car tyres of the same size.

Reply to
Adrian

YMYA.

That's what I've read. I replaced all the tyres on my car transported after getting a blowout. According to my reading, they should be replaced every

4 or 5 years. Ozone & sunlight don't do them any favours.
Reply to
Huge

The place where I source my tyres is a sensible and fair business. Not a chain, but an independent centre which has to provide a good honest service to survive. Why should you think that someone in business is there simply to exploit the customer?

Curious statement there. Are you suggesting that your particular MOT tester bends the rules for you?

I'm not particularly bothered whether the appearance is a pass or fail for MOT. It is the actual safety of the tyre which is of interest to me.

Richard

maybe because 98% do

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Really? Is that an exact 98% or simply something which stuck on your finger when you pulled it out of your arse?

Reply to
Richard

In this particular case, if the dealer says it is OK and it fails, he is likely to get a lot of grief. If he says replace it, he gets a sale and no grief.

Reply to
newshound

I'm old enough, know enough about car mechanics, and have been to enough garages to know that most talk crap to lever unnecessary money out of customers. If you've not learnt that I'm unconcerned.

And at the end of the day its business, competitive business.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

It is a 3 x 4 foot single Axel unbraked trailer. I would guess homemade originally. In terms of payload I am treating it as fairly light duty expecting to transport bulky rather than heavy things. I am expecting to do some motorway driving.

Reply to
chade

And exactly why I just put a brand new pair of tyres on the half tonne goods trailer I built 40 years ago that has had several sets of tyres in-between, never because they were even slightly worn but more 'perished'.

We were due to collect a new (to her) motorbike for our daughter and didn't want it risk a potentially preventable blowout spoiling our day.

This also means we might be more likely to use the trailer now, knowing it has got new tyres (and not even remoulds this time ) and all the running gear / brakes have been serviced.

Tyres are our only contact with the ground and so something I rarely compromise on (especially as a motorcyclist).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m