O T Totally - Software Help

I am looking for a small dos based text editor called rped.exe.

I used to use this years ago but can not remember where I got it from.

It was one of the best text editors I ever used for dos.

Anyone know from where I can obtain it please.

Google wasn't my best friend for this

Jim G

Reply to
the_constructor

In message , the_constructor writes

Wasn't it on the installation discs for DOS 3.3, or is my memory failing?

Reply to
News

News wrote, on 20/11/2011 07:52:

I believe that RPED.EXE was a contraction of Roland Perry EDitor, and that it came with early Amstrad machines. He should be along shortly either to confirm or to deny this allegation. :)

Reply to
Dave N

Wikipedia says:- "The PC version of Mallard Basic is still available from LocoScript Software as an MS-DOS program which will run under Windows as a Disc only version with licence or with the full Introduction & Reference manual."

Twenty quid as Disc only, or an extra twenty for the manual.

Reply to
John Williamson

One issue of course about maybe installing dos as a second OS is that as far as I'm aware some of the low level dos programs cannot cope with ntfs discs.

However whether the editor in question, which is an Amstrad thing, would work in a pseudo Dos window is something one would have to suck and see.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

a text editor is not a low level program

If the DOS is running as a shell in windows, then windows itself should handle disk access.

If sorce exists, it could be re-compiled anyway.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I should have mentioned in original post that it was a machine running solely Dos. Windows will go nowhere near it.

Jim G

Reply to
the_constructor

I am all sorted now.