O/T Silica used in frackiing and comment from FoE spokesman.

On Monday 19th October 2015 I had the abject pleasure of watching North West Tonight's report on something to do with fracking. In the report there was a spokesman from Freinds of the Earth who was dutifully reporting his reasons why fracking was bad, and at one point stated that silica which was used for some process in fracking was a known human carcinogen. Now the problem is that I wasn't paying full attention to this glorious broadcast, but the bit about silica being carcinogenic stuck out, as it did with other people watching in the same room.

I understand silicosis ain't great - but that, AFAIK, is due to silica DUST getting into your lungs, not silica being handled.

Sadly the episode of NWT is no longer available on iPlayer.

My questions are:

  1. Am I missing something about silica - is it infact dangerous?

  1. What is silica used for in fracking?

Thanks in advance,

David Paste.

Reply to
David Paste

Not really, sand is mainly silica

To hold the tiny cracks in the rock open, so the gas can get out.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yes, this is what I thought.

Thank you very much Andy!

Reply to
David Paste

Silica is the name given to the chemical with formula SiO2, silicon dioxide. Quartz sand is silica. Most beaches around the UK are made of silica sand. Most rocks contain silica. Clay usually contains a lot of free quartz, i.e. silica. Silica, in the form of quartz, is one of the commonest materials on this earth. The sand that occasionally blows in from the Sahara and covers people's cars is silica. Ground silica is widely used in the ceramics and glass industries. Lots more here

and here

You are correct that simply handling silica or ingesting it is not harmful. Inhaling it in sufficient quantity, over extended periods of time, will result in silicosis. Anyone whose work brings them in contact with powdered quartz, such as pottery industry workers, quarry workers, hard-rock miners, foundry workers etc. are all at risk of contracting silicosis, but the hazards are well known and H&S regulations are there to ensure protective clothing, particularly face masks, are worn. Short term casual exposure to silica dust is not harmful. Exposure has to be prolonged. More here

IMO it shows just how disingenuous the FOE are if they have to resort to such scare tactics. Either that, or they are technically and scientifically incompetent. I can see armies of the ignorant believing that fracking uses carcinogenic material and we're all going to die of cancer if fracking is allowed.

I don't know exactly what it's being used for in fracking, IANA Expert on fracking, but the common description of fracking includes the use of some form of granular material for propping open the fractured shale rock to allow the gas within it to escape. Silica sand is widely available and cheap, so that's probably what it's being used for. Loads of it in Cheshire, for example.

Chris Hogg

We all know that these outfits have form as liars.

Reply to
Tim Streater

believing

Dave Liquorice

There's been a fuss about this. F of the E were telling big porkies. Beaches are made of silica. If the BBC broadcast these claims uncontested they need to broadcast a correction.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Try Both.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The armies of the ignorant probably don't realise fracking has been used in hundreds of UK onshore oil/gas sites for decades.

The difference is that for shale you need higher pressures and volumes than limestones and sandstones.

Reply to
Andy Burns

In article , David Paste wrote: [Snip} I shouted at the TV when Look NW broadcast that item

I seem to remember the most recent advice about dangers of silica was for 'roofers' (or D-i-Y'ers) cutting roof tiles for the valleys and ridges in situ and without masks.

John

Reply to
news