O/T power cuts and 3 day week around the 1970s

I am. Poised on the brink of retirement. Got my first free prescription today and I'm about to apply for a senior rail card.

Reply to
Huge

I had apart time job in a petrol station. On of the guys there jacked up the light van we had and took a back wheen off, replacing it with a rim. Chocked the other wheel (well). Some kind of thin rope to the drive pulley on the nearest pump.

Burnt out the clutch after half a day, and then got hauled over the coals by the Fire Brigade.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I was at university by then. They had generators.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Don't forget the bus pass. Useful as proof of age/senility.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Also good for avoiding town centre parking fees, if you have somehere on a bus route that will take you into town and where the parking is free.

Reply to
Nightjar

I had beer as well, After leaving my first employment I thought I'd try my luck at walking into a brewery and seeing if they had any temporary jobs over the christmas rush. Thre wasn't much other work around and as a 19 year old pisshead I felt I had the qualifications. They did, then the 3 day week started in the new year and many of those with two days spare went to the pubs. We had to work overtime to keep up. brewing was classed as food production so wasn't as restricted on power as much as some industries.My xmas job was extended. And though I moved on to do other jobs within the company not wishing to spend my life running a bottle washer that intended temporary employment lasted forty years. With a good final salary pension scheme to boot. I'm quite grateful for the 3 day week.

G.harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

I was being born. I've still not got over the shock.

Reply to
Scott M

I haven't been on a bus for decades, and I'm not about to start.

Reply to
Huge

On 2014-06-24, Nightjar

Reply to
Huge

Reply to
Bob Eager
[snippage]

Bus pass

The date you qualify for a bus pass depends on if you live in:

England - 6 January 2020

Reply to
Huge

Reply to
Nightjar

You *are* that much younger than me!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Is female retirement age getting capped at 65 then? I Didn't think so. They won't be giving me a bus pass or state pension until I'm 67.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Get the right illness and you don't need to get old enough. IYSWIM. :-)

Reply to
polygonum

There is no retirement age for males or females any more. It is discriminatory to require employees to retire, unless there is a clearly justifiable reason for setting a retirement age.

What is changing is the state pension age (SPA). At present, female SPA is being increased to 65, to come in line with the male SPA in 2018, after which they will both increase together.

Reply to
Nightjar

You were a postdoc when I was a spotty 1st year undergrad (and only the third person in Biology to have a user ID). We were all in awe of you. If only I'd known ...

Reply to
Huge

I do, but it's not a very encouraging thought.

Reply to
Huge

That isn't quite true. The State requires their employees to retire at fixed ages, but those in private employement can work as long as they want.

Reply to
charles

Oddly enough, the government web site doesn't mention that :-)

Reply to
Nightjar