O T: PC Video Output

Is it possible to get a lead that will connect to the 15pin D socket (VGA output) on the back of the PC and terminate in 3 phono plugs so that I can plug it into a video / DVD recorder or projector?

If not, how do they run projectors from PC's....?

Reply to
the_constructor

Hi

You can get a scan converter which takes the VGA signal and converts it to PAL. Take a look at the products on this page:-

answer your second question, almost all projectors can accept a native VGA signal.

Steve

Reply to
stevelup

to watch downloaded TV programs :

reasonably well - got mine off ebay. But you'd be better off with a graphics card on the PC which has "TV out" capability: my next one will!

David

Reply to
Lobster

Not too sure because the older projectors used 3 seperate CRT screens to project the image and I suppose that required seperate signals of RGB?

The modern day projector uses a range of three signal inputs...Composite,RGB adaptor 15 pin D plug to plug and the SVHS input.

Reply to
George

ive not yet seen a projector that doesnt have a vga input and ive still got one hanging about that is suitcase sized!

Reply to
Tom Woods

A projector will almost certainly accept the VGA signal directly.

VGA line and frame rate timings are wrong for a TV. If you use CGA though the timings are close enough.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

> Works reasonably well - got mine off ebay. But you'd be better off with

I forgot all about this.

In my PC, I have a Radeon 7000 series graphics card with a VGA socket and an s-video socke onboard.

I have connected a lead from the s-video on the pc to a scart converter, one of these things that has rca sockets on and an s-video.

I have used the ATI Hydravison configuration wizard but the picture on the TV is flashing with stirations all over the screen and is black and white.

Anyone help me get a colour picture please and what do I do to get sound on the TV ?

Reply to
the_constructor

SVHS can only be connected via SVHS socket and the TV has got to be SVHS compatible

Reply to
George

Do you have svideo pn the TV? If not you need something like

sound you need to connect the sound output from your pcs sound card to the tv.

Reply to
dennis

Go into the advanced configuration settings and change them to PAL, to solve the colour and synch problems. You will have to adjust these advanced setting to get the best picture on the TV, but don't expect too much, it almost certainly won't be anything like as good as your monitor.

You need to plug a lead from the line out socket on your PC to the tv audio in socket to get sound on the tv. The s-video socket is video only, no sound.

Reply to
Palindrome

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 22:36:51 -0000, the_constructor wrote the following to uk.media.tv.misc:

>>> Works reasonably well - got mine off ebay. But you'd be better off with

For sound you need to run a cable from your soundcard to the red and white connectors on the adaptor. There are plenty of jack to RCA ones around at most audio stores. For the picture, make sure the output is set to PAL I.

mh.

Reply to
Marcus Houlden

S-Video can't be fed into a standard SCART without an active S-Video to RGB convertor. Some SCARTS will accept S-Video direct - but they will be marked as such.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If your TV is half tidy you'll have options in the TV menu system to tell it what signal you're putting into the Scart socket. Tell it you're feeding it S-Video or you'll get a b/w picture. If the options aren't there then chances are it doesn't support S-Video on Scart.

As for the sound you'll have to go from the speaker socket on your PC (the green audio socket) to the Scart adaptor audio sockets. Basically a 3.5mm stereo jack plug to 2 phono plugs.

Reply to
shaun

Or even self senses.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That would be S-Video, SVHS is a form of videotape.

Reply to
ThePunisher

And many graphics cards will output from a choice of composite, component, S-Video or DVI. A further option for those with a modern box is to get a DVI to HDMI adapter or lead. These need careful shopping, the robbing twits at PC World want around £80 for a DVI to HDMI lead. They can be obtained for about £10-15 from online suppliers such as play.com.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I would like to thank all participants of this thread for their help.

Finally, 2 years ago, PC World charged a mate £26 for a scart lead. Nothing fancy, just a bog standard lead. Local shop were selling exactly same thing for £4.99

Reply to
the_constructor

I was looking for a USB extension lead - Belkin 1.8m in PC World was=20 about =A318 - same cable in ebuyer was about a fiver!

--=20 Halmyre

Reply to
Halmyre

I changed computers last week: the new one doesn't have DVI on the graphics card so I needed a regular 3m VGA cable. The A to Z computer shop across road from office (why do I ever bother going in there) £25 for a 2m lead, £35 for 5m; new 3m lead from eBay including postage £6. I get quite a bit of stuff from PC World - convenience is a big factor - and IME their pricing is now much more competitive if you buy selectively.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

And an unbranded one that will work just fine is less than a quid!

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq