O/T domain registration

For reasons to dull to go into it appears I am likely to shortly lose my tr usty old email address after twenty years (not the @newsguy one that is a s pam trapping fake). Can anyone recommend a domain registrar company that al so offers webmail boxes. Thanks.

Reply to
chade

123 reg have been good for me for years. Free mail forwarding and domain name registration a small handful of quids per annum.
Reply to
Bob Minchin

Any charges if you wish to move out of 123?

polygonum

Not the cheapest for mailboxes though

I'd heard rumours they had started charging for that, but just moved a friend's domain away from them, and there wasn't a charge.

Reply to
Andy Burns

+1
Reply to
JoeJoe

Any registrar will supply you with the domain name and it needn't cost much. If you are using email you will need server space (hosting) and I don't think you can get it for free. It probably needs to be reliable and a long term arrangement because that will be the main archive and record of your correspondence over years to come. email attachments can add up to a fair bit of space.

TW

Reply to
TimW

In message , TimW writes

I've had a domain name from 1&1 for years and at a very reasonable cost. I always just used it to forward to Demon's email address and, before that was destroyed, the Demon website.

In making the move to Plusnet, and turning the redirect to them, I discovered that one of the email addresses had what 1&1 describe as "basic email" and it seems to offer a sort of webmail service. I'm still using the multiple email addresses before the @, as I used to do with Demon, but I haven't looked at whether these can all be channelled into the one basic 1&1 mailbox. None of this is clear on their website.

Plusnet has had a problem with SPF validation, whatever that is, and it appears to be due to many of the domain providers not supporting this feature when forwarding email. AIUI, Plusnet have (temporarily?) taken the validation off and people are now chasing various forwarding providers to sort themselves out with this.

Reply to
Bill

123-reg email forwarding allows you to forward to an address without needing to have an email box attached to it. So you could have your domain, create an email address of your choice as a forward, and point it at a gmail or outlook.com address etc.

(this is probably true of other registrars as well - although some (like

365 email) only allow forwarding from a paid for mailbox).
Reply to
John Rumm

I use

£2 a month for email, as many mailboxes as you want, and will register a domain as well.

Run by people who have a clue.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew May

123reg works OK. But costs £35 a year over the basic registration.

Can redirect domain to any other mailbox like e.g. a gmail account and avoid having to pay them, for a mail box.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

but gmail will no longer allow you to set the "from:" address coming from your domain ... and some ISPs seem to think an SMTP server for their customers is a luxury these days, so don't provide one :-(

Reply to
Andy Burns

No that I had noticed. I can still send from gmail with my real address.

Now that is alas true...

Reply to
John Rumm

In that instance, does Gmail put your custom address in Reply-To or do they use From?

Reply to
pamela

It's certainly changed from the way it used to work.

I had set it up for some aliases a long time ago, and it may still work for those, but try to setup a new alias, and it wants you to give it your credentials so gmail can send through your (or your ISP's) SMTP server rather than directly through gmail's own SMTP servers.

Without it you get some "from: xxxx@gmail on behalf of snipped-for-privacy@your.domain" nonsense ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

When I was with 123reg a couple of years ago you had to ring them to cancel anything (just like Sky). I'd avoid them in favour of somebody you can simply cancel online.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

1and1.co.uk

Use them for years, for my domain, hosting my e-mail and sending e-mails either from e-mail client (through any ISP, secure port) or webmail, never had a problem.

Biggles

Reply to
Biggles

From.

Reply to
John Rumm

I'm using easily.co.uk for domain hosting. I'm not using their (paid for) email though, I've just been redirecting to somewhere else for ages now. Easily have 4 different levels for email.

Reply to
mick

+1 have used them since 2008 for both private and business mail and web
Reply to
DJC

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Reply to