O/T 1200 or 1400 spin washing machine?

Hi all,

Another washing machine question!

After a recent post and deciding top get a washing machine not a washer/drier

I have now been told by my family that a 1400 spin washer is nosier and wears quicker than a 1400 spin one!

I realise a 1400 spin will get clothes drier so should be better.

Can anyone advice mo on this please?

Mick.

Reply to
Mick.

In message , Mick. wrote

Despite the hype, a machine that spins at 1400 rpm is unlikely to get clothes significantly drier than one that spins at 1000 rpm. In my experience with a couple of Hotpoint machines, the motor brushes and main bearing wear out quicker on the faster spin machines.

Reply to
Alan

I had a 1400 spin Bosch washing machine in my old flat. It's over 6 years old and still working. It was (and probably still is) very quiet. I have a 1400 spin washing machine in my new house. I haven't noticed any excessive noise but it's in the garage so noise is less of an issue and it's less than a year old so I cannot comment on longevity.

If you get a 1400 spin and it's too noisy you have the option to turn it down to 1200 when/if noise is a problem.

Reply to
Gareth

Actually, it makes an enormous difference - at 1400 RPM, the force on the water during spinning is nearly doubled, as it's proportional to the angular velocity squared. It's also proportional to the drum radius (but only linearly so that's not such a significant factor).

In any case, all machines now have to carry a rating on how well the spin works, so you can just look at that.

My 1400 RPM hotpoint is just about worn out now, after 25 years. Can't really complain at that!

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

We have a Hotpoint 1600 washer, on the programmes that suit the majority of clothes, the maximum speed is only 800 anyway.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

indeed... don;t most fast spin washers "sense" how evenly the load is distributed in the drum and only spin at max if all is within limits? if so no Gtee that you'll get a full turbo spin everytime anyway...

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Certainly my 25 year old hotpoint does this. When it's going to spin at 1400 (max), it has up to 3 goes at distributing the clothes evenly around the drum. If it fails on the third attempt, it still goes ahead with the spin, but only at 1000 RPM.

This hotpoint hardly ever fails to balance the load - probably only a few times in 25 years.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I bit the bullet and bough a Miele 7kg load with 1400 spin. it definitely gets cottons drier than when you run it on an "automatic" cycle which drops the spin down to 1200. For me it only gets used on 1 program. Cottons with full-bore spin and temp at 40 degrees. That way I can always get a 7Kg load (it gets smaller on other programs). Man-made fibres don't seem to care as long as they are washed at 40 degrees and even on 1400 spin clothes just get died and put away. (mainly jeans,, jumpers & teeshirts though)) Buy quality and buy once when it comes to something like a washing machine. No doubt a bag-o-pants budget brand will push to high rpm without the quality of components and engineering to support it. Noise wise.... check em out on youtube.

(1600rpm)

Pete

--

Equipment, WaterRowers, Fitness Equipment, Sports nutrition etc.

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

The difference between a 1400 spin and 1000 spin is more than you might think. The other day a full mixed load of washing was spun at

1000. I then put it on a spin only cycle at 1400. Well over one litre of water was ejected at 1400 which is a lot when you consider it had already been in for 10 minute spin at 1000.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Starling

1400 vs 1000 makes a major difference to water content and dry time, I definitely didnt need a drier with the 1400. But there are more important questions with washing machines, and I'll second the advice that you need to get a good quality machine before adding the more minor luxury of 1400 spin.

NT

Reply to
NT
1400rpm spin should be considered standard if you have an electric dryer. The somewhat dryer clothes will directly reduce electrical drying cost over many years.

Miele are very good, but parts are very expensive. A Siemens/Bosch pump is circa =A335, a Miele pump is circa =A3100-135. Now you can argue the Miele is less likely to fail, but it is a relatively common failure at 7-16yrs whatever the make. So I would suggest shortlist those washing machines offering free 5yr warranty or free

10yr warranty, key being free rather than costly add-on insurance which is grossly inflated compared to what the manufacturers can "self- insure". Then consider carefully re 10yr Miele 5yr Siemens/Bosch/AEG/ Whatever.

Can take quite a bit of shopping around, remember modern washers are mostly cold fill which may require a little plumbing work (cap off the hot, 3/4" BSP cap with rubber washer as I recall).

Reply to
js.b1

That I think is the most important bit. Wander about the sheds and "kick the tyres", some machines out there are really dadly designed. They look, with smooth lines and curves but have nasty sharp pointy bits of plastic just where your wrist will be putting stuff into the detergent drawer. Others just don't feel solid, bits flex just that little bit too much or simply wobble about.

We've just bought a new washing machine after a couple of "tyre kicking" visits. Hotpoint WMD960 Ultima, 8kg, 1600 spin (IIRC). During the wash cycle more noise comes from buttons etc clonking on the glass and the muted clothes/water sloshing about than the drive. The spin is also very quiet, you don't really notice it. Indeed if the door latch didn't click quite loudly and the machine beep when it's finished you wouldn't have the reminder that the spin on a normal machine gives that it has reached that stage.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yes, OTOH the faster spin machines cost more too. Unlses you go for a not so good quality machine, which is a false economy. Have you calculated the drying savings from the faster spin?

OTOH pumps are one part where there's not usually any need to fit the same make. Not familiar with Miele innards, but most common makes one can fit any of various makes of pump, and pumps can be had for not much.

should be no need

Bosch are a respectable middle ground, decent reliability and price not excessive.

NT

Reply to
NT

It's worth spending time in John Lewis for this, as the people there actually know about the goods for sale. In B&Q etc. the least unhelpful ones are the cardboard cutouts!

Is Hotpoint actually making good stuff nowadays?

Reply to
PeterC

shurely "is 'whoever owns the "hotpoint" marque' making good stuff?

cheers

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

In message , PeterC wrote

And how many of the brands are actually owned by the same company and made (assembled) in the same factories.

People often perceive that brand A is better than brand B for historic reasons that are no longer valid. How often do you see someone recommending a brand because they have had not trouble with a machine for 10, 15, 20 or 25 years. A machine build today will have little in common with one built 5 years ago.

Reply to
Alan

I'll let you know in 10 to 20 years... It's only a couple of months old and hasn't gone bang yet. B-)

Previous Hotpoint stuff has been OK but as has been pointed out "past performance is no indication of future reliabilty".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Drum bearings that dont last long enough, requiring repeat replacement fi you have a family. Not a brand I'd buy.

NT

Reply to
NT

Miele items are designed to last 20 years. Obviously, not all will reach that age without problems, but they are *very much more reliable* than cheaper makes.

In theory, when they go wrong, the replacement parts are more expensive. But who cares about the price of parts when you are very unlikely ever to need them?

Reply to
Bruce

Miele should last 20 yrs, Bosch should last over 10. Miele costs twice as much, and parts several times as much. Money in the bank has some value, and most people only have so much to play with. Etc - both work.

NT

Reply to
NT