Number of bedrooms with ensuites

+1

Wives appear extremely sensitive to toilet smells!

We have a separate main bathroom with walk in shower which visiting children and I use. Master bedroom has en-suite as does downstairs guest room. There is also a toilet in the utility area for farmers with grubby hands.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

You can *overdevelop*. Will a 5 bed house at his location be out of place when he comes to sell?

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

+1 Discussing the subject of house extensions recently with the remaining local estate agent, he said 4 decent size bedrooms was a much easier layout to sell than 5 smaller ones, few buyers actually want or need 5 bedrooms. Of course guessing what's going to be the fashionable layout in 10-20 years is a bit tricky.
Reply to
airsmoothed

I estimate that you can sublet that to 12 migrant workers. That would be OK with two bogs and a shower. Then you could fit another four migrant workers in what would have been the bathrooms you don't need.

Reply to
dennis

It does strike me as being a bit like living in an hotel room.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

If you are doing it purely for resale value then ask an Estate Agent.

Otherwise modify the house to suit the occupants needs.

Personally I don't see the need for ensuite bathrooms vs normal bathrooms. I only have an ensuite in the main bedroom 'cos there was not enough room for a separate one.

Reply to
Mark

I like enough WCs in their own small little rooms.

Downstairs shower definitely, wheelchair access downstairs so somebody can live there without using upstairs at all, because of temporary illness , age etc.

[g]
Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

"ensuite" is also a noun meaning a bath or shower room reachable through a bedroom. (Usually intended for the exclusive use of the occupants of that bedroom.)

Language changes: live with it.

Reply to
Martin Bonner

Meantime, I'm sitting here thinking up the Whitehall Farce version.

Four bedrooms, each with a door directly into the same bathroom. Four couples: each couple believing they have their own, private, en-suite bathroom.

Two hours of side-splitting hilarity in the theatre as people come and go, in and out of the same bathroom through different doors; always arriving just as someone else leaves through another door; puzzling over the changed colour of the towels, or the different title of the book by the loo; close shaves for all as the man in the bubble-bath is ignored by three different women who aren't his wife and three different men make amusing mistakes about the identity of the wrong woman in the shower.

Instead of building an extension, why not persuade your dad to write this script, put the play on in the West End and retire in luxury to his apartment on the coast while living on the proceeds?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Hasn't Alan Ayckbourn already done this one?

Reply to
Mark

It would be the second 5 bed house on the estate. The majority are 3 bed houses with some 4 bed ones (all with extensions to provide the 4th bedroom). The rest are 2 and 3 bed bungalows.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Don't you fart in bed?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Nightjar

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Not knowingly. It may come to me yet as it seems to be a feature of age!

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

And two more with the shower fitted over one of the bogs. Yes I did stay in a place in Hong Kong where the shower was over the bog and not an eastern squat bog either.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

They do in this country but only because of the climate, it's too damn cold most of the time. They don't dry quick enough. Now out in middle east where if it gets down to 20C the locals don double layers of winter woolies a wet room is fine and very practical, no stupid clingy shower curtain or stupidly small cubicle that needs to be squeeged down after use. Just rinse, push the water to the floor drain and the whole thing is dry in 30 mins.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Up and downstairs family loos/bathrooms, plus a couple of bedrooms (one at a minimum) with en-suite woulds seem a reasonable minimum in that size place.

Reply to
John Rumm

I don't know if it's escaped your attention, but that's where we are.

So fit a decent sized cubicle. S'what I did.

Nonsense. Quick squirt down with shower cleaner every couple of days.

Along with everything else in there which has got damp...?

Reply to
Huge

Don't do it. Having the biggest house on the estate will make it really hard to sell - ask any agent. Those who want and can afford a 5-bed won't want to live next to all the chavi people who can only afford a little bungalow.

I suggest your dad makes the seaside place the perfect place to retire to if he wants a project.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Have you seen the price of a bungalow when it comes to the cost per square metre when buying one? Bungalows are not for chavs.

He has already bought and renovated the seaside place:-)

Did I mention that he has not yet told my Mum about the proposed extension?

Reply to
ARWadsworth