Nuclear power at 10p unit

might do.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

yes

there was no need to add the redundant 'so' to that sentence.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hmmm, gasoline fuel tax replaced by energy tax...

A colleague stumbled over a "8-14%/yr min kWhr price increase" until 2027 f or the UK, it was an internal gov't report. Seems to fit in well with the £2800/yr average bill by 2020. His big joke (not) was if PV ever DID gain substantial improvement in efficiency, and reduction in cost, such that pe ople went off grid for baseband demand (10 units/day) during daylight hours and told the grid where to go. That meant some interesting supply shedding (or we get a pile of alcoa plants).

The lights will not go out, just become very expensive to limit demand. Tha t seems to be a bit of a tradition... :-)

Reply to
js.b1

They have been available to buy since 1949, although only six Aerocars were ever built, so availability is quite low.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Surely the wholesale price would have to include distribution costs, which must be pretty large when you consider the size of the grid which must be maintained and/or upgraded?

If so, the cost of generation may be radically lower.

Wouldn't surprise me if there was a certain reluctance to give that figure.

Reply to
Windmill

Which is 5p. But what is the generation cost?

Reply to
Windmill

Tree Huggers would have little influence unless some fairly powerful group wanted them to have influence. Cui bono?

I'm not against nuclear. Or for that matter renewable. Any DIY guy would *like* to be able to power his house from solar, wind, and water. It's just that the figures don't add up very well. Especially for flat dwellers. I can imagine that by doing without most of the comforts we take for granted it would be just about possible to use only one's own power. But it wouldn't be easy. Could one make underclothes/shirt/jacket from that 'space blanket' material? Then one could live in a house whose temperature was just 3 or 4 degrees. Not fun though.

Reply to
Windmill

one of the chapters deals with it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

They're not "pricing it right"

they are leaving the clean up costs with the operator and asking "how much do you want for that deal"

Though, as has been said, whether the operator will still be around to do the clean up is another matter

tim

Reply to
tim......

Escrow