Nuclear NIMBYs?

So the prospect of nuclear power looksmore remote than ever.

harry

despite the local authorities saying yes or at least maybe, the county council said no and thats that.

They aren't nuclear nimbies tho, they are green fuckwits.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On Thursday 21 February 2013 15:05 The Natural Philosopher wrote in uk.d-i- y:

There are two options:

Overrule them at the government level "in the national insterest";

or

Turn Cumbria off when the rest of the place is short of power... Not sure how much that would help - but it might focus minds.

And before anyone says "Oi, you live in East Sussex" - we have Dungeness power station 27 miles from my house, and I've quite happy. I'd be happy if it was next to my village - we could use the jobs around here.

Reply to
Tim Watts

absolutely right. Sizewell 60 miles from here, and Id be happy if it was next door.

Perfectly happy to see the industrial estate down the road turned into a waste storage facility.

Hell, the 'travellers' have done that already...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Mr Martin said: "I'm quite certain the decision is the right one for Cumbria, that isn't to say we are anti-nuclear. The county council wants more investment in Sellafield, not only in the storage sites but in nuclear reactors and so on."

In fact, there is NO EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER in that article to justify labelling any of the council or others involved in the decision 'green', let alone abusing them as 'fuckwits'.

But that's The Natural Thicko's well-known substitute for use of a brain, isn't it? The Pavlovian response - it certainly can't be dignified with the term 'thinking' - goes something like: I don't like them, therefore they are fuckwits.

Bah! Pots and kettles.

Reply to
Java Jive

Perhaps not in that article, but perhaps you'd like to indicate why they turned it down. Meantime, "fuckwits" (green or not) is good enough for the rest of us.

In most matters, a County Council will follow what a District Council wants, where the CC has the actual responsibility for something. Thus, if Canterbury or Cambridge want something done to their roads, the CC will usually accede to the request. In this case, it's unclear to me why Cumbria is involved in any way at all. The *local* authority appeared happy, so what business of theirs is it to turn it down?

Reply to
Tim Streater

How is it in the National Interest to have the site in Cumbria rather than, say, Dounreay, or indeed any place that is better suited geologically?

It would be more to the point to turn off all the parts of the grid that contain nuclear power stations. That would focus minds on the problem of disposing of nuclear waste, rather than just assuming we can go on producing more of it without a thought or care as to what ultimately is going to happen to it.

It might be more to the point to find a suitable geological site in an urban depressed area. I'm sure there must be parts of London that are sufficiently geologically stable :-)

Reply to
Java Jive

Fecking County Council. They are happy to take the money that the companies at Sellafield donate on a fairly regular basis and they aren't small sums either.

The big problem with the repository is that they are going about it arse about face. The geology in the two area is reasonable but the next stage could have found 'em saying "yes we'll have it" but then not finding anywhere to *properly* suitable to put it. The next step would be 2nd rate bit of geology being picked as no one else has said yes and loads of money has been spent...

They ought to find the proper geology then apply the "national interest". The NIMBY's can go f*ck themselves. I'd much rather this stuff was stored in properly designed and constructed long term deep repository in proper containers than lurking at the bottom of a swimming pool, on the surface, with a barn built over it to keep the worst of the rain out.

Oi, 30 miles down wind of Sellafield... see above!

If you want to focus minds turn off the places more than 40 miles from any power generation. Where is the nearest operational power station to central London?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

There's a map here dated 2003 of the larger generation facilities:-

So, Rye House, Damhead Creek, Grain? (Didn't that close recently?), Littlebrook D, Tilbury and a few others.... More than 10 Gigawatts installed and mopt mothballed. Which can't quite cope with the peak loads in London.

Apart from bits of Lincolnshire, parts of Wales, if you ignore wind and hydro, and parts of East Anglia, there is nowhere in the UK further than

40 miles away from a power source.
Reply to
John Williamson

^^^^ not

Reply to
John Williamson

It was their decision, not mine, so ask them, not me. I'm merely pointing out that there was no evidence to justify the Pavlovian use of the g-word.

When faced with serious, thorny, difficult issues, you have to get beyond the schoolboy mental level of abusing anyone who happens to disagree with your point of view with playground terms such as 'fuckwits'.

As their name implies, the CC are responsible for local issues at a wider county level, whereas, as its name implies, the DC is only responsible at the narrower district level. What is difficult to understand about that?

... one of two local authorities ...

Again ask them, not me.

Reply to
Java Jive

Interesting map - pity they don't seem to have grasped the difference between mW and MW, though since they've actually put power as mw I assume someone doing the graphic design thought it would look better...

Reply to
docholliday93

almost none of the london stations are still even potentially operational

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Fecking County Council. They are happy to take the money that the companies at Sellafield donate on a fairly regular basis and they aren't small sums either.

The big problem with the repository is that they are going about it arse about face. The geology in the two areas was reasonable but the next stage could have found 'em saying "yes we'll have it" but then not finding anywhere to *properly* suitable to put it. After that it would be

2nd rate bit of geology being picked as no one else has said yes and loads of money has been spent...

They ought to find the proper geology then apply the "national interest". The NIMBY's can go f*ck themselves. I'd much rather this stuff was stored in properly designed and constructed long term deep repository in proper containers than lurking at the bottom of a swimming pool, on the surface, with a barn built over it to keep the worst of the rain out.

Oi, 30 miles down wind of Sellafield... see above!

If you want to focus minds turn off the places more than 40 miles from any power generation. Where is the nearest operational power station to central London?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

2003... I was going to say that looks a bit old with Powergen on it. B-)

Grain has gone, so has Kingsnorth. Littlebrook and Tilbury will go by end

2015, if not before.

So even less able to cope when the above stations have gone. The object is to make people sit up and take notice the most effective way of doing that is to blackout The City.

It will be interesting to see how they handle the probable power shortages over the next few winters. Will they publish a few days in advance a rolling blackout schedule like they did in the 70's or will they publish "at risk" areas where, if they need to, they will cut the power. Also be interesting how even such power losses will be distributed across the country. Maybe they'll just go for blackouts without warning.

If you ignore wind and hydro most of Scotland from the Central belt north is more than 40 miles from a power source...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Maybe the DC is controlled by a different political party than the CC and one will automatically oppose the decisions made by the other?

Politics, don't you love it ;-)

Reply to
Mark