Nuclear fuel

Because they said so.

Its all part of the history of Sellafield as told by those who worked (and played) there.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Who is they, and you believe everything you hear?

Reply to
BobH

Care to speculate who in the BBC makes this policy? And you listen to every single BBC programme to be certain it is a policy?

Or are you just making a generalised statement based on your limited experience - as usual?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Oh here we go. Nothing has credibility *except your beliegs*.

No matter how much evidence contradicts them.

You must be a Lefty.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You must have a very narrow mind if you think the 'evidence' is all on one side.

Ah. QED.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I was there for almost 25 years in the Separation Area upto 2000, so I do know a bit about went on or didn't.

Maybe then it was before the 70's or so.

Reply to
BobH

Don't recall, now. It was actually a UKAEA office although the main site was under BNFL control by then. Guy called Gerry McCarten.

Reply to
newshound

You can't shoot seagulls - they are protected species. Well, unless they're Herring Gulls anyway.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Its onlt people that are scared of radiation and people tend not to eat gulls.

Reply to
dennis

Not all of them. About 50% are protected, the others not.

I wish I could recall which were which.

Reply to
Huge

Not as crap dangerous or expensive as wind farms and infinitely more useful

Reply to
bert

You snipped the bit where I'd taken the trouble to check and found the General Licence allows you to shoot or destroy the nests of Herring Gulls. Only.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

John Rumm

That only talks about the Leibstadt nuclear reactor in Switzerland.

That is not the same as the BNFL pools, as you seem to implied from the subject of this thread

Reply to
BobH

That name rings some distant bells, was he a supervisor of some description or more an admin guy.

Just trying to think where you mean as Ukalele as it was called by us at BNFL is or was at the top end of the site with B41 and what were 2 pile chimneys. Where the fire was in the 50's or 60's.

I think I know where you mean but can't recall the building number, unless it was B41.

Reply to
BobH

Ok, but I won't tell you what we used to do???

Reply to
BobH

It was a general comment, and not a specific one regarding Sellafield... I suspect that *some* of the older pools into which were dumped all manner of crap back in the 50s and 60s you would certainly not want to swim in!

Reply to
John Rumm

ISTR when I went to Sellafield I had to sign a piece of paper headed "Official Secrets Act" or similar - OOPS I don't think I'm supposed to tell you that.

Reply to
bert

Nope. That would be a bad idea ;)

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Wasn't the open pool quite close to the chimneys, or is it my memory at fault? It's quite possible that I went to some other BNFL offices with Gerry. I used to talk to him about some of our CEGB research which had applications to AGR tie-bar wear measurement. EDF now ship bits of tie-bar to Studsvik in Sweden for this, such was our success in exploiting original UK R&D.

Reply to
newshound