NTSC video tape

I need to convert a single Video Tape to a DV file for editing.

I have a Panasonic NV-HS800B SVHS ... which I was convinced was what I used to play NTSC tapes previously .... but it will not play nay NTSC tapes I try.

Anybody know if this VCR will play NTSC tapes.

Failing that anyone out there able to do this for me ?

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Yes it will - got both an HS1000 and an AG4700 that are essentially identical to yours.

However the output format is not true NTSC but PAL 60 which can be displayed on some, but not all PAL TV's Most late 80's /90's CRT sets from the likes of Sony or Panasonic etc should be ok. No idea about other makes and more modern TV's

You may have trouble converting. I can tell you the Canopus DVC-110 and EDIUS can't handle it!

Reply to
The Other Mike

Rick Hughes wrote in news:4u- snipped-for-privacy@bt.com:

Have you changed your TV. I think th eTV needed to be switched to NTSC because of the different scan speed.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Have you changed your TV in the interim?

A combination of some TVs and VHS players would give a picture from NTSC tapes - but you'd not be able to rip a colour signal from the VHS.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I can do this. Send me an e-mail message at: snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com and we can arrange something.

Reply to
Davey

Yes this was a funny one. I used to have an el cheapo Akai video and was surprised to find ntsc tapes worked with it. Nothing in the manual at all.

Yes I can see it could well be the set that might be confused by this, but I'd have thought most videocapture cards should be able to by now, No need for this myself any more of course!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

No TV involved (at momment)

VCR via S-VHS cable and L&R audio to Canopus ADVC 300 Firewire to PC .... Video capture (WinDV) on PC

Works fine for PAL tapes .... but although NTSC tapes run and VCR display shows it's playing, no frames reaching PC. 'Appears' as if no video signal over S-VHS

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Thinking back, about 15 yrs ago (when I bought the tape) I made a Video tape to Video tape copy previously, I borrowed by Fathers VCR ... that would not have been S-VHS. Maybe it did not have S-Video output ... in which case I would have used SCART leads for that VCR to TV, and S-Video to my VCR

Maybe that is how it sorted out sync and allowed the copy.

Unless someone who knows better than me can suggest a fix ... I'll be taking up Davey on his kind offer.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

You managed to copy an NTSC tape to PAL in colour?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yep ... I bought the video in US, and made a copy as soon as I came home, no sync issue all worked fine.

That is what is annoying me .. that I have done this in past ... albeit VCR to VR via a TV, whereas now I want to video capture via my Canopus to a DV file.

What 'may' have helped is that all 3 items were Panasonic, and maybe it did some automatic jiggery pokery.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

A further pice of information ... Slight improvement

I connected VCR to a Canopus ADVC300 using S-Video and LR audio Set the ADVC300 to NTSC Firewire from ADVC300 to PC

WinDV now captures a video stream, but it is black & white

This at least proves something is coming out of VCR.

Any suggestions of any settings I need to change on VCR/Canopus/PC or am I still screwed without some external help

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Not much point in that unless the VCR can playback genuine NTSC. Ie, is a proper dual standard model - not PAL.

It would be.

You need an NTSC VCR. If you want colour. Or a standards convertor.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There were one or two UK VCRs which actually did allow you output the naive NTSC as well as the usual NTSC/4.43 (or whatever it's called). I think I briefly had one, and while the genuine NTSC was very good, I immediately took it back to the shop because, with ordinary PAL tapes, the picture was terrible.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

No settings to change, it's a fundamental hardware limitation, or at least it is on the ADVC-110.

The video recorder cannot output true NTSC. The converter won't handle anything but PAL 50 4.43 MHz or NTSC 60 3.58 MHz

Reply to
The Other Mike

and I forgot to add, SECAM

Reply to
The Other Mike

That's because the VCR would convert the NTSC colour to PAL, and the TV could sync to the 60 frame / 525 line rate. But indeed you can't do much with such a signal except shove it into a telly. Which is what I did with my US tapes.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I think the problem is it doesn't convert it to true PAL - which is why it can't be re-recorded. It's some form of cludge the TV set manages to show in colour.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It usually converts to PAL-60, which modern TV sets can interpret. My VCR outputs NTSC-443, which my dongle can interpret and forward to the PC as a normal audio/video file, and I can make colour DVDs from that that can be viewed on PAL equipment. I can edit the program before burning it to DVD, as well, and I can even process NTSC-LP recordings. Most equipment only works with NTSC-SP. You do need the correct equipment if you want to transfer from NTSC.

Reply to
Davey

It manages to show it in colour, because the VCR converts the NTSC colour to PAL. I think all it has to do is invert the phase of the colour signal of alternate lines (but there could be more to it). Doing that is going to be easy, electronically. What is harder is deciding what to do with 30fps to get it down to 25, and inserting some lines to get 525 up to 625. But you don't have to bother doing that for the purpose of just viewing the tape, because your telly can sync to the different rates, just like a computer monitor.

But as you say the resultant signal is neither true PAL nor true NTSC, and so cannot be recorded.

Reply to
Tim Streater

It cannot be recorded by most recording devices, but some can do it. I have used a Hauppauge PVR-350 (an old analogue TV tuner PC card) to record PAL-60 from a VCR before, by telling it the input is PAL-60. I assume a PVR-250 of similar vintage would also do it, but I don't know about the later Hauppauge cards.

(I should also point out that I did this on a PC running Linux - I don't know if the Windows software that came with the card can configure the card for PAL-60.)

Reply to
Geoff Clare