Now would be a good time for the annual"have you tested your central heating system" post

Yes, it is a bit of a fierce one, but my boiler actually runs all summer, as it provides my hot water. Did yours not ? As the room stat controls only the circulation pump on that model, turning the stat all the way down is effectively the same as setting the central heating function to "OFF" at the controller.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Fired the propane furnace up here a couple of weeks ago - it's been getting cold at nights. I've not switched the electric baseboard heat back on yet, but there's not a lot to go wrong with that :-)

Daytime temps have been warm - up around 60-70F. That's all going to change tomorrow though, and we're supposed to get anything up to a foot of snow now over the next couple of days :/

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Yes indeed. I got caught a few years ago when they changed my meter. The old one didn't register the pilot light, being the only usage over the summer. After the change I saw what it was costing and turned it off for the summer.

I now have a condensing boiler with spark ignition, but the replacement PCB, just after warranty expired, cost several years energy saving.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Most times the cylinder would be still hot enough and do you really leap out of bed straight into the shower? Personally I need a wee and coffee first, plenty of time for a brief boost if needed. The stat will probably say it is but in reality if the tank is much over 45C it's not.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

sounds as though your tank thermostat was wrongly set if its "demand" was different from your requirements.

Reply to
charles

True enough but that is around 200l of water/day *at* 60C.

12kWHr = 43.2MJ 4.18 * 1000 * 50 = 209kJ/l for a 50C rise 43.2/0.209 = 206l

Strikes me as quite a lot of water bearing in mind that is water at 60C which you'd almost always cool down by a good 50% so equates to a "hot water" useage > 400l ish.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Depends a bit on how it is plumbed... the mexico can run fully pumped or use gravity circulation.

Reply to
John Rumm

That does sound like quite a bit... then again I used to have my mexico on during the summer for heating the hot water anyway - so the pilot costs alone were sort of lost in the noise, and hence I could not really measure them.

Reply to
John Rumm

The records I kept for mine suggested 70 cu feet / day in summer - so say 22 kWh a day.

Reply to
John Rumm

Ah, OK. I guess that mine is fully pumped then. Without the stat up, the pump does not ever run, and all rads are fully cold, hence my ability to keep hot water during the summer, but have no heating just by winding the stat right down ... :-)

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Well, if Andrew Gabriel's 250W figure is in the right ballpark, half that goes on the pilot light

so halve it, then allow for the boiler efficiency (60-odd percent?) with a power shower it's not unknown for me to use the whole tankful for a leisurely shower.

Last time I stuck the plug in the bath to see how much water was used during such a leisurely shower, it was about 2/3 full by the end.

I might save more money by being on a water meter than worrying about the gas, especially as the hot water is a "free" side-effect in months when the boiler is on for heating (no separate zones).

If I was drawing my pension and my time was my own to go round turning things on/off as required, I might worry about £11/month, for now I don't lose any sleep to have it "on tap".

Reply to
Andy Burns

Hmm..

I'll have a closer look at those figures this evening.

Average gas price for a summer quarter here is 4.7p/kWh.

We have a longish pipe run boiler to cistern so not the best installation.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I've just changed from an "expensive first few units, cheaper additional units" tariff, to one with a traditional standing charge.

After allowing for discounts for dual fuel, direct debit, online readings and loyalty, the gas works out at 3.1p/kWh. Adding-in the standing charge, averaged over the year for my level of usage, it still only comes to 4.0p/kWh.

Reply to
Andy Burns

If the hot water heats with the pump off. then it can't be fully pumped... You probably have a pumped circuit for the rads, and a "gravity" thermosyphon circuit for the cylinder (which would need to be somewhere above the boiler).

(mine was a S Plan system with a zone for HW and another for heating. I have just converted it all to S Plan plus with two heatings zones and a hot water zone)

Reply to
John Rumm

Global Cooling?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Nah, Canada's just sending us the weather that it's too wussy to handle a little earlier than usual ;) (We normally see a little snow by the end of October, it's just unusual to have any this early)

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Global Warming, innit?

Reply to
Huge

Single person, small flat, out all day at that time. Also electric shower In summer putting the immersion heater on for 20 minutes (run-back timer so it would always switch off) in the morning was enough for the day.

The boiler was changed to a combi so I could ten replace the electric shower. In the interval between changing the boiler and reworking the bathroom the former contribution of the pilot light became obvious. Switching to gas for the shower made a huge difference to the bills. Electricity used to be about 65% now its about 40% even now I'm at home all day with computers running. Average of Gas+Electric was 25kWh per day, now 15kWh per day.

Reply to
djc

Or Global Incomprehension of the Observed Data, but that's not as catchy :)

It's been snowing quite well since my earlier post, although it's not settling on the roads (yet) - accumulation on the grass is about 2" so far.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

6 deg this morning. That's jumper wearing weather.
Reply to
ARW