Now this did make oi larrf

Someone having a go at Rod Speed for being a tard, but look who it is...

Steve Firth

an irresponsible w*nker criticising a tosser. I suppose it makes sense. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Ecuardorian?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

En el artículo , Steve Firth escribió:

Heh. One to post with the FAQ link.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Unlike those who post links using google gropes which I avoid like the plague.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

be bothered. I think I dislike google a little more each day...

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Err no.

Oh there's nothing wrong with hating Google, they really are shit, especially Android which is the biggest con job ever. But the punters lap it up. Here's the post in question:

---------------------------- From: snipped-for-privacy@suburbia.net (Julian Assange) Subject: Rod Speed Date: 1996/02/27 Message-ID: #1/1 X-Deja-AN: 141298449 organization: AUSNet Services pty. ltd. newsgroups: aus.org.efa

Hey Bozo. Only 20% of your posts are written by yourself, the rest are quoted. Of your 20% of "original" material, 90% of that is pathetic, immature and semantically devoid pot shots at the original poster. If you can't contribute constructively - don't.

--

+----------------------------------+-----------------------------------------+ |Julian Assange | "if you think the United States has | |FAX: +61-3-9819-9066 | stood still, who built the largest | |EMAIL: snipped-for-privacy@suburbia.net | shopping centre in the world?" - Nixon | +----------------------------------+-----------------------------------------+
Reply to

>>> Huh, it wants a username/password to view

Actually, yes it did. Perhaps you were already signed into a Google account?

Reply to
Andy Burns

No I don't have one. It doesn't ask for a Google account not here, not from work not with Safari, Firefox or Internet Exploder.

Reply to
Steve Firth

It seems to be a requirement of the "new" google groups. If you have managed to stick with the old interface then you can view without signing in, although they do claim the old interface will be withdrawn at some point.

Reply to
John Rumm

Its links to a post from Mr. Wiki Leaks:

"Julian Assange

2/27/96

Hey Bozo. Only 20% of your posts are written by yourself, the rest are quoted. Of your 20% of "original" material, 90% of that is pathetic, immature and semantically devoid pot shots at the original poster. If you can't contribute constructively - don't."

Reply to
John Rumm

Largely because it doesn't work that well, it doesn't actually work as a standard - every company does their own thing and produces a different version of the same "standard" and the Apps are poorly constructed malware riddled pieces of tat. If you find a good Android app generally you will find it was written for the iPhone and ported to Android.

As for WinPhones don't get me started. They are based on TAPI and that is evil beyond belief. Microsoft, as usual, took the lazy route and added phone technology to Windows as a layer running on the OS. So that if the OS has a problem so does your phone. Sensible makers designed telephony as a service running at a lower layer than the OS. Even if the OS spectacularly crashes the phone should still work.

As I mentioned before here and elesewhere, a journalist friend of mine had a WinPhone and boasted how much better it was than the iPhone or Nokia phones. Then he broke his leg on a ski run in the Dolomites. He phone 112 for emergency and his phone BSODed - over and over again. He had to lie there until someone heard his shouting, some hours later apparently. When he got home he ditched the WinPhone.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Cheers. I have the Nokia Lumia 710. It's a great unit, but I am under no il= lusions of it being a phone - it is a handheld computer with a phone app. I= t does everything I want it to do, but as I say, the battery life is dreadf= ul. Was a bit of a shock coming from an older Nokia phone which would last = a week between charges.

Reply to
pastedavid

They are all like that sir, smartphones that is. If I don't use the computer features of mine and just do text and phone I can get three days of battery life minimum. As soon as anything computationally intensive is done or the GPS is used battery life falls away. Running GPS nav with the screen on all the time gets down to about 6h battery life. This is at least better than my satnav that manages just two hours on battery.

Reply to
Steve Firth

My newish TomTom does rather better than that. Had it on internal batteries for about 3 hours the other day. Unusually, much better for that than my old one. Especially since the screen is twice the size, but it's much slimmer.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My ancient GO 700 does about 5 hours on a full charge... (mind you its quite a bit porkier than the modern ones)

Reply to
John Rumm