Now I know why I'll always have loft water storage and a hot water tank

When the water board announced cryptosporidium in the water when we were in St Albans all the shops sold out of water within hours. Come home from work and without stored water you'd go thirsty, except in this case the water was perfectly useable and drinkable, absolutely no need to rush out and buy bottled water. Just needed a rolling boil for 10 mins. ISTR we got a payment for the extra energy that the boiling consumed for the week or two the restriction lasted.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

No, more probably from Falkirk, where they cast the pillars for the Crumlin viaduct.

Reply to
Capitol

That wouldn't get through my RO filter so I could probably sell the water.

Reply to
dennis

But I was talking about producing hot water in "real time" with a combi boiler rather than running stored hot water from a hot cylinder. The limitation then is the rate at which you can heat it rather than the size of the main (unless it's *really* puny).

Reply to
Roger Mills

Oh dear. We're going to die. Probably at some point in the last 15 years. Though the incoming water now at least isn't straight out of the well, but has a UV thingy on it.

Reply to
Clive George

They cast pillars 'ud be a tad 'ard for sleepin' on.

Reply to
Bob Henson

Is the releavant "standard", as I understand it.

For new tanks at least - it seems to provide for a properly fitting lid and insect screen(s) on the overflow pipes.

I have no issues drinking water from our loft storage tank - hot or cold although cold in the kitchen is mains and hot is heated on-demand via a thermal store.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Ah, got you! We have a Megaflo. Unless you have a ginormous boiler, hot water from a combi is bound to be meagre. Annoyingly, it's worse in winter, when you need a hotter shower.

Reply to
GB

If you had our water pressure, even a megaflo wouldn't fill a bath in a reasonable time.

Reply to
Capitol

Curiously enough, one of the big London ring mains is at the bottom of our garden, so we can lend you a few bars if you like.

Reply to
GB

Byelaw 30 (2) was superseded by paragraph 16 of Schedule 2 of The Water Supply (Water Fittings) Regulations 1999, although it says the same thing.

Reply to
Nightjar

charles formulated on Thursday :

Should be or is?

Even boiled water may not be safe. The microbes may be dead, but the microbes can become poisonous. Boiling alone may not be enough.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Much safer to stick to beer --- or whisky

Reply to
charles

Not can become, may be. It would take much botulinus in your water to make you unhappy - but once you've boiled it, it won't get worse.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Storage cisterns (tanks) installed in the past 30 odd years should be potable quality. The water from them is fine, if the tank is maintained to that standard.

I wouldn't drink water from a tank I hadn't seen; mine is clean, it stays clean, I drink the water.

Reply to
amcmaho

For goodness sake man, boil the water and there should be no problem what so ever. Man has survived a long time without treated water :)

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Makes a lot more sense to not need to bother.

In fact they died like flies when they didn't bother.

And still do where they don't.

Reply to
john james

john james was thinking very hard :