Now I know what the spiral is for

The spiral on metal chimneys that is. I used to think it was about having the wind help draw gases out of the chimney. In fact it about preventing wind eddies shaking the chimney to destruction.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

In article , Harry Bloomfield scribeth thus

Yes quite correct, as can be seen by some spirals here on the top of the Emley mast in Yorkshire;)..

tony sayer

Yes, I knew about that 30 years ago, but what I couldn't get my head around (if it's true) is that it only works when the spiral is in one particular direction, not the other.

Reply to
Graham.

Yep. Vortex shedding.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Does it depend which hemisphere you're in? :)

Reply to
Bob Eager

Not true.

harryagain

To bring this closer to DIY - wrapping a spiral of cable around the top rung of a stepladder being transported on the roof rack of my car results in a much quieter journey. (If the top rung is at the front.)

John

Reply to
jrwalliker

That is what I was thinking, as correolis would suggest it should be the other way darn sarf. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Yes as well as industrial chimneys the effect can be seen at the other end of the scale on some car antennae, to stop them resonating at certain speeds

?ref=list

Reply to
CB

But its far to localized for Coriolis to have any effect.

Reply to
CB

Must explain why it's seen with plug holes.

Reply to
John Chance

It isn't

(and an infinite supply of other links if you choose to look)

Reply to
CB

Harry Bloomfield put finger to keyboard:

Greek bridge prog last night by any chance? I was impressed by the video of the dampers in the earthquake.

Reply to
Scion

Where you watching "Impossible Engineering" on Discovery science?

Reply to
soup

Whoosh!

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

It isn't.

You were obviously never a small boy. This small boy soon discovered that you can force the water going down a plug hole to rotate in either direction by use of a mark 1 finger. Further, that the water continues to rotate that way until there is none left.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Urban myth. It works because it suppresses vortex shedding by disrupting the axial symmetry.

The problem with vortex shedding is resonance when the natural frequency of the chimney, tower, or whatever coincides with the vortex shedding frequency.

Reply to
newshound

Brian probably couldn't see the smiley.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Witness the Tacoma narrows bridge.

Usually described as forced resonance the full story is of aeroelastic flutter but for the purposes of a Usenet post it can be thought of as forced resonance.

Reply to
soup

Yerrs, BUT left to its won devices it nearly always rotated anticlockwise, the same ways as a depression rotates in the Northern hemisphere.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher